six times two

nicole hursh

8:01pm

i listen for voices as everyone in the room falls silent from a loud hush.

absolutely no voice is heard.

"i don't hear anyone!" mouth calls out.

"yeah. yeah, i don't think anyone is coming," mikey whispers to me.

"alright, i think i was just paranoid?" i state in a more questioning way.

"yeah. it's okay though,"

i watch as brand walks over to a larger rock and attempts to roll it away from a small entrance. of which he succeeds in doing. bats fly everywhere as soon as the hole is opened and almost everyone screams. i laugh watching everyone swat at the bats that aren't even near them. even down here there's humour.

"mouth, get a load of these kids," i laugh out while nudging his shoulder.

"sit! sit!" mouth calls out pointing a finger at the bats as if they were dogs.

"rabies! rabies! we're going to get rabies!"

"okay everybody calm down!" i call out loudly. as the night goes on and i get used to the girls; i feel my confidence rising in me again.

"rabies!"

"listen! if you keep freaking out you're going to make everything more hectic! just calm down," i inform them, frustrated at everyone's behaviour.

"metal mouth is right for once, everyone just calm down," brand yells from his spot.

"metal mouth is better than metal brains," i mutter although brand can still hear me.

"robots are supposed to be the smartest creations yet, thanks," he tells me with a smile.

"idiot,"

"guys, we need to keep walking. the treasure is here somewhere," mikey says above the commotion. his curiosity has returned already and we're off on the adventure as soon as he walks through the opening.

i catch up to mikey to see what the plan is. is he expecting to just find piles of diamonds and not be questioned as to where it came from? the treasure, if it even exists, would probably be reimbursed to the museum where everything else related to the quest was previously located.

"mikey. what are you going to even do when you find treasure? bring it to the bank and go: hey! yeah i'm a kid with tens of thousands dollars worth of precious jewels! give me money?"

"nicole, we'll figure it out, okay? right now let's just focus on finding anything at all," mikey tells me after studying my face long and hard. it's not my fault i actually think about the important stuff.

i decide to walk behind the group with data, the only person who will allow me to listen without having to talk.

"hey data,"

"hey nicky, okay guess what. i have this invention that throws a fist out and basically it-"

data goes on with his idea but i drone out. i'm only watching mikey ahead, who is holding andi's hand as we reach a bend that exploits a waterfall and small pond.

all worries are thrown away from me as i run after mouth into the pool.

"cannonball!" i scream before gently falling into the water and feeling a crunch below my feet. i look into the water to see coins.

"wow! it's a giant piggy bank!" data yells as he grabs a handful.

i only stare in astonishment that mikey was right that willy actually hid treasure. it's not what i expected it to be with rich coins rather than diamonds but it's fortunate none the less.

"wait. hold the lantern near here," data calls and he stares at one coin in his hand.

"what year was the map made?"

mouth is now staring at a coin too, flipping it around in his hand before groaning.

"oh i don't know, probably a couple hundred years before......hmm, president lincoln, george washington, martin sheen-"

"martin sheen? let me see that!" stef yells grabbing it.

"this isn't martin sheen! it's kennedy you idiot!"

"same difference! he played kennedy once,"

mouth and stef get into an arguement before stef stops midsentence to look around the room.

"wait a minute. wait. this isn't gold, this is a wishing well. look," she tells us sending everyone into a frenzy of looking around.

sure enough, at the very top is a hole that could only lead into old mosgard park.

the goonies start to pick up coins, myself included until stef tells us to stop.

"you can't do that. those are somebody else's wishes! they're somebody else's dreams."

"cut the crap stef, we need the money unlike some of you," i call out glaring at the two girls. i'm sure they didn't understand a thing we were all going through with having to move away from a place we grew up with. a place we called home for most of our lives.

"yeah, but you know what? this one, this one right here. this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. so i'm taking it back, i'm taking them all back," mouth tells us, a sad expression on his face and he dives his hands into the water for change.

everyone is watching mouth swim for money, while i sit on the rock i've occupied for most of the time i've been here. my mind wanders as the room becomes alive in conversation once again.

there has got to be a plan to think of here. it's not like we could all keep roaming caves that sat underneath astoria, someone needs to get us out of here and chunk wasn't coming with the cops anytime soon.

"mouth," i call out, only because he was the nearest one to me.

"huh,"

"we need a plan, like a plan to get us out of here. the opening of the wishing well is right there, we can probably climb it," i tell him pointing up. at this point of the night i just wanted to go home, and my parents must be worrying about me.

"yeah, yes. we should try to climb up the well," he tells me after staring at it, with his usual "thinking face".

"i know, because i just said that," i tell him. his face is blank and unreadable, but even i can tell he's cooking up a plan. for someone who's a total dope in school he's quite life smart.

before we both could think anymore, voices flood into the well. judging by everyone's head turning towards it, i wasn't the only one.

"there's someone there," i whisper, moving towards it. looking up into it i see two boys standing there that look to be older but it's hard to see.

"...i didn't make it with her yet. and i stress," i hear, as a coin is thrown down into the well.

"what the hell," brand says while looking down at the coin.

"to make it with andi," the boy above says and everyone heard it. brand reaches down and grabs the coin before tossing it back upwards.

"hey, who's down there?"

a/n: i'm sorry, i've totally skipped smaller scenes but that's okay. also, in the movie i'm quite certain that it first started earlier in the morning and the adventure didn't take place around 5PM, therefore, for the illusion of the movie, the kids are probably going to make it out of the "caves" around 5AM, which is quite late, but i wanted the movie scenery to be the same :)

ALSO, hey hi, i know only a few people read this "book" but i've been revising on my phone and editing mistakes, therefore if you get those annoying update notifications iM SORRY.