five times two

nicole hursh

6:49 pm

"jesus! shut it! shut it!" i scream while turning away as quick as possible. the moment i saw something tall in the freezer i knew my joke had turned into reality. i don't think i can get over seeing a dead body, not ever.

chunk slams the door and turns to face us.

"i'm out, i'm out!" someone exclaims slowly moving towards the staircase. i watch everyone's actions around the room and think everything out. mikey's trying to look for a soft spot in the concrete to dig up some sort of tunnel, while chunk's still freaking out over the "ice cream" he found.

"hey... hey, hey!" i yell out to try and get their attention. only the older kids turn to look at me while my friends my own age wander off in their own little worlds.

"listen...mikey... everyone. there's no way there's some sort of "treasure" below all of this rock. this is the twentieth century," i sigh while moving towards a set of chairs with my hands in the air. this entire bunch of friends isn't normal, for starters we were in the basement of murderers with a dead body and mikey still wanted to check for his treasure. i didn't know if we were worse for not forcing him to leave or if mikey was for letting us.

"we have to find a way to the lowest point of this floor," mikey announces.

"maybe we can pour chocolate over it and make chunk eat his way to it," mouth jokes, a joke too far.

"okay mouth, that's all i can take!" chunk shouts while charging towards mouth. in a flash of motion something glass breaks and sends it flying around the room.

"i don't got it," he mumbles as he stares at the shards sitting on the floor.

"great going klutz,"

i try to broom the little pieces up into a pile with my foot but it's unsuccessful. the broken glass is just too small and the noise of glass against concrete isn't pleasant.

all of the teenagers go into a series of how unfair it is that they're stuck with younger kids without getting paid, claiming it's forced babysitting. i roll my eyes, especially since brand is going along with stef and andi's antics.

"so go home then," i yell towards stef as she protests why she's upset. she looks at me and shakes her head in disbelief, deciding on whether or not i'm serious.

"listen to that," mikey tells us, his face is full of wonder as he strains to hear the noise, a noise that i cannot hear.

"i don't hear a thing," i say in the silence, being shushed by the group.

finally i hear water trickling from somewhere, as if it was moving through a gigantic pipe.

"so what?" brand asks as he finally hears it too.

"sounds like my grandfather taking a leak, mikey. thrillville," mouth says looking towards the wall it's coming from. not much more than a few bad paintings and cobwebs come from it.

"no, it's deep. like there's a hole or a passageway from somewhere," mikey looks up to the ceiling in case there could be any pipes there, but there isn't

"mikey, get off it. it's probably coming from outside," i tell him walking towards the nearest window to look out of it. nothing pipe related is near the building.

brand walks towards the noise, which seems to get louder near the fireplace. he moves his hands into it and tries to lift some of the boards to reveal a gate on the bottom. the gate looks like something from a movie and i've never been one to like movies too much.

"i told you! ha, i told you!" mikey exclaims moving in towards the entrance and peers at it over brand's shoulder.

"hey guys! this is working," data yells while he tries out his latest invention. i turn to watch but snap my attention back to mikey and brand as i hear a crashing noise. brand's fallen right through the old boards.

"way to go, you load of weight!" i yell peering down into the hole.

"can it nicky,"

"brand, are you okay?" mikey asks looking down at him.

"yeah, i'm fine,"

suddenly data starts yelling about fifty dollar bills, and shows everyone the pieces of paper in his hand.

"-enough to save the goondocks!"

"they're bogus, way fake," brand tells us, crumpling the paper in his hand.

stef picks up a newspaper and looks at it, right on the cover is a picture of the fratellis, mainly the man who was singing. he got put in jail just last week.

"that's the guys, the guys from upstairs," i tell her. everyone crowds around us and looks at the paper.

"yeah, yeah the gu-"

the speech of data is cut off from noises upstairs. a door has opened and it's most definitely the fratellis.

the strange family quarrels about pizza and pepperonis while we're silent. i'm hardly shaking from what i believe could happen to us if they decide to come downstairs.

"we gotta go," i whisper the the kids that stand around me. they agree with head nods and look around the room with me. the windows are nearly too ancient to see out of, with glue stuck to the bottom of them, so that escape was gone.

the only other way was through the hole brand fell through.

therefore we all start towards it as the fratellis eat pizza.

a/n: i know in the movie the body is found later, my bad. but at least i got some creative twists out of it!