Chapter Seven

A/N:

Hey, I'm back!

I just got The Fever Code for Christmas and I'm super excited to read it!!! Though I know it's going to depress me later... OH WELL

Anywho, in the media is a picture of what I intended for Mal to look like, portrayed by Selena Gomez.

I hope you like this chapter, and if you do, please give it a vote and offer some feedback! Thanks!!

Amanda :)

__________

It was a chilly evening in the Glade that night. The sky had dimmed into a dark gray-blue, cooling the thick concrete walls of the Maze and the rest of the Glade. As the Gladers lit the torches to brighten up the land, Mal stood helplessly at the Box, trying to process her feelings all at once. Yeah, she got promoted to Med-jack, but shouldn't she be in school, learning how to drive, exploring the real world?

Did that world still exist?

An hour had passed since the Doors closed. Mal breathed in the cold air and sighed it out.

"Hey Mallie, ain't you freezin'?" called a voice from not so far behind. Mal knew it was Newt, for he was the one who started calling her "Mallie" ever since supper.

"Kinda . . . in more ways than one."

"It gets chilly at night sometimes," Newt generally stated, then said, "C'mon, let's get you in the Homestead before you catch pneumonia and die on us. We wouldn't want that!"

Make giggled slightly. "Yeah . . . Hey," she looked out toward the walls of the Maze, "The walls are so big. Has anyone ever tried climbing them up?"

Newt sighed—Mal was never going to give up trying to escape, no matter how many times he'd tell her it was completely impossible. "Yeah, but the ivy doesn't go all the way to the top."

"But what if we built a huge ladder? Grab all the supplies we need and—"

"We'd have no living quarters. The Creators only bring us so much supplies."

"Well, what if we—"

"Besides, where would you go from there?" Newt hushed her, and Mal huffed.

"Well . . ." She glanced at the floor below her and viewed the Box. Becoming slightly cheery again, Mal continued, "What if when the next time the Box brings us supplies, we send someone down and see where it—"

"Tried that, too," Newt said dully again. "Tried sending a slinthead Greenie back in the Box one time, and the thing wouldn't move till we took him out."

Mal groaned, "Ugh, there's gotta be a way! There's—"
"Look Greenie, whatever you've thought of and will think of, we've already tried. Nothing works," Newt claimed matter-of-factly. "We just have to run the Maze."

"Fine," Mal suddenly spat and spun on her heel, "If that's the only way to get out of this dump, then so be it. Mark my words, Newt: I myself will run through that Maze one way or another, and there will be no one who will want to stop me, unless they want their groin kicked."

"I believe you," Newt said, "but it's not gonna happen with Nick in charge."

"We'll see about that," Mal smirked, spinning on her heel and heading for the Homestead.

To himself, Newt mumbled, "That girl has no idea what she wants to get into."

__________