Chapter 8

Once everything seemed to be settled, Blair found herself in a lone corridor staring at the long hallway.

Her eyes were focused as her mind went to the future created if she chose heading there. It was her method of training to foresee a better choice in the future.

"Amazing"

Blair only tore her gaze away from the hallway and toward the man in the wheelchair, having foreseen him approaching.

"It's the only way I can safely practice and make sure I'm safe" The girl explained, a shy smile as she realized Charles knew what she was doing

Charles nodded slightly, eyebrows furrowing in curiosity "I can tell. It's smart"

Blair smiled proudly, nodding "It took me a while to get used to it"

Charles got a glimpse of her thoughts, frowning slightly "You have a good control of them, Blair. There's no reason to fear them"

Blair looked at him, startled "What?"

Charles grimaced a bit, "I apologize. I am still not used to my abilities again, I accidentally read your mind"

Blair exhaled through her mouth an startled laugh, "Oh! Right. You're the mutant who can read minds" she lightly smacked her forehead, "I forgot, sorry"

Charles couldn't help but notice the cautious glimmer in her eyes. He easily recognized the gesture, it was the same all of his students used to have whenever they remembered he could read their minds and figure things out from them.

"If you feel uncomfortable, I'm sorry" Charles apologized again, "I don't mean to. It's just... It's been a while since I used them"

Blair's eyes softened before taking a deep breath, "No. It's alright, you just took me by surprise. Not everyone I meet can, actually" she admitted sheepishly, "I always seem to know what's going to happen and what they're going to say. It has saved me a lot of time from bad influences which is why I don't have a lot of friends"

Charles looked sympathetic, yet not surprised. It was rare finding a mutant having human company but not uncommon. They weren't a lot with such luck. Blair was one of them, and reading her mind now (not able to stop as her mind was extremely loud) he could see under the cheerful and carefree mutant she had met. He could see the real Blair, the lonely girl who used to struggle with her Newfound abilities while trying to keep them away from her family

He didn't want to see more, but his own abilities weren't obeying him. They suddenly lead him to a memory.

It wasn't his by the looks of it.

Charles looked around at the park he had showed up and found himself in front of a small brunette girl resembling Blair

Charles realized it was Blair's memory.

He saw little Blair playing with some girls around her age. 12, his mind whispered at him. He was seeing a 12 year old Blair.

Little Blair walked past him toward an older girl, resembling Blair in hair and her face structure except for her eyes. While Blair's were lighter, this girl's were darker. He still saw the similarities. They were sisters.

Charles was confused as to why he was seeing this particular memory, following after the girls. It took him a moment to realize he was walking. He breathed softly in relief.

Little Blair approached her sister siting in front of her, "Want to play?" She beamed

The older girl gave her a small smile, "Just for a few minutes before I get home. I'm waiting for a call, little sister"