Chapter Six

Jade

Its a good thing we had the radio on, otherwise those five hours would have been absolute torture. I mean, I didn't even meet this chick until two days ago. For all I know, she could be a con artist knowing all the stuff about me that she does. Then again, if she really is Steve Donovan's daughter, she has every right to. I can still remember when Steve came to take Grace away. I had just found my way home from Vegas when I found Grace sitting in the dark living room- she was covered in blood. Grace was nineteen at the time, so that would've made me around twelve or thirteen. I tried to get her to tell me what was going on, but she just kept repeating the same line, "It is to be what should not be."

I finally managed to get Grace in the bathroom and just as I finished cleaning the crimson ichor off her, sirens echoed through the holler. Grace remained deadly calm even when the police barged in. Steve Donovan strode in, his U.S. Marshall's badge gleaming and his guns raised. I don't know why I keep wanting to think we knew him before then. He was like that familiar stranger you see walking down the street- the one you feel like you should know, but don't.

"It's time, Grace." Is all he said before scooping her up in his arms and carrying her back to his fellow police officers. It was all like a dream.

Next thing I knew, I was in a courtroom with the social workers getting signed into my grandparents custody. They weren't going to take me in at first, but I guess Grandpa decided he needed a little servant to boss around. It wasn't so bad, living with them. I got a comfy bed and actual meals, but it just didn't feel right without my sister. She had always been there to protect me, and suddenly, she was gone. I had to learn to take care of myself, so I built these walls to keep people out.

"Hey, what are you thinking about over there?" Sammantha peered over at me, "You looked sad."

I forced a smile, "Nah, I'm good. I was trying to think of a place to eat."

"You always think with your stomach don't you?" She giggled.

We ended up settling for Subway, but before we could get in the right lane, I saw the most wonderful place on earth and swerved into their parking lot. It was this huge pet store. Biggest one I'd ever seen. I grabbed the keys and my purse, "I hope you not alergic to animals," I told Sam, "Because we're about to get one!"

The store was even more magnificent inside. There were stairs leading up to more advanced items like clothes and such, but my focus was at the adopt today center.

"Jade, let's look at the puppies." Sam said, softly pulling me in one direction.

"I guess that's not the worst pet to start off with." I muttered, "I was thinking something more exotic, but whatever."

Sam just rolled her eyes, "Just give them a chance, girl!"

I died. Those puppies literally murdered me with their cuteness! I was stroking a baby poodle when I saw the most adorable creature know to mankind.

"Holy crap, that's the one." I was drawn to a tiny black puffball snuggled up by himself. It was the poofiest teacup pomeranian in the history of the freaking univserse.
He raised his small head up when noticed me coming only to bark before curling back up.

"Hey there mister. If I'm gonna adopt you, you're gonna have to pay attention to me, got it?" I told him. Sam patted me on the shoulder saying, "Jade, you do know you're talking to a dog right?"

"His name is Sirius! And he's now my Sirius. My Sirius Black." I answered firmly.

Sammantha