09. d e f i n e

Dedicated to :

jikku_m

-

If there was one word she would use for describing him-it would be different.

Yes, she surely knows that its a pretty shitty word to describe anyone.

But that was what he was.

From the past two hours that she had spent sitting on the grass listening to his tales when he called her, she had quite got to know a handful of things about him.

She listened intently as he spoke about his family. His single mother who was a kind hearted vet at the town's hospital and their tiny two story house in Minnesota that needed serious repairing.

She let out a chuckle, at his funny face when he complained about the leaking pipes. He gave her a playful scowl, frowning his eyebrows.

"This isn't funny okay!" he scolded her. This made her let out her tongue, teasing him.

She kept a hand on her chest, controlling her fits. "Why are you here, Marcus. I mean here, on this hill with a camera on your hand", she asked pointing at his camera.

He smiled. "I like photography. That's why I am here. You know, wildlife photography. Clicking pictures of wild animals."

She pursed her lips in confusion. "But didn't you just told me, two minutes ago that you want to be a professional skateboarder."

"Yeah, I want to be that too. But with it I want to be many other things also."He ruffled his hair, letting her see the faded purple streaks across his curly hair. He told her how in grade seven he wanted to be a top rated rock artist of a leading boy band.

Then he opened his backpack, fishing out some rough outlines of a few animals.She identified one to be a whale. He told her how passionate he was about marine biology and aspired to be a marine biologist one day, surfing on docks and researching on the communication system between dolphins.

And at last, he handed her a few pictures of some Bengal tiger cubs and a nest of chirping Kingfishers that he wanted to nurse. He wanted to be a vet like his mother, and help her run their very own veterinary clinic that she had always wanted to have.

Though she was short of money.

She softly ran her thumb over a certain picture that showed kid Marcus playing with some bandaged gooses in a barnyard.

Her face tried to morph into a smile but failed miserably. Her parents had always taught her the way she should greet influential people in those elite cocktail parties.

A jaw breaking smile that showcased her colgate teeth and the cupid bow of her red matte lips.

But now when she wanted to smile-a big genuine one. She was starting to fail pathetically.

Her face was halfway between a grin and a grimace. She looked at him, as he faced the falling sunset. The orange rays highlighted his chocolate brown hair and the tint of his hazel eyes.

"How can you be everything when you have got only one life? "

He faced her, a grin on his lips. For some very odd reason- she found it hard to swallow. A laboured breath stuck in her trachea.

"That's the point. Life is too short but still I want to be everything. I don't want an adjective, or a definition for myself. I want to be athletic while riding the skateboard, smart while dealing with the injured cubs, creative while recording a new song," he replied with a dreamy look on his face.

She watched him, blinking her eyes.

She had no reply to that. Maybe in a way, she wanted the same for her too.

"The sunset here is very beautiful."

He gazed at the falling sunset. She kept her eyes trained on the back of his head, the foreign feeling in the left side of her chest turning into a dull ache. "Indeed it is".

But she was not talking about the sun. _

A/N

Vote + comment = Happy Iz