Ronnie

CHAPTER SEVEN

Ronnie

Mmm... the smell of fresh turkey. My dog senses kick in as I follow the wonderful smell. I get to the top of the stairs and Ronnie is standing at the bottom of the stair case staring at me. I decide to break the silence.

"Hey" I say

"Uhm.. Julianne said to come get you for supper" Ronnie says

"I was just coming down" I smile

Ronnie gives me a weak smile and turns around. I follow Ronnie as she walks into the kitchen. On the kitchen table is turkey, sweet potatoes, cream corn, cranberry sauce, brocolli and of course cheese sauce. Mom makes the best cheese sauce ever! It should go down in history, just like Rudolph!

'Looks delicious Mom'

'Oh my dear Sophia, thank you for the lovely comment' Julianne chimes.

'Your welcome' I reply

'Where's Dad?' Noah asks.

As if on cue, Dad come running into the kitchen and almost tramples Mom. We all laugh except Ronnie.

'Let's sit down' Mom instructs.

Dad sits at the head of the table, facing the wall. I sit on the left side of Dad and Ronnie is sitting to the right of me. I look at her, she looks as if she is spaced out. I look back up at Mom who is sitting accross from me on the right of Dad. Noah is sitting right infront of Ronnie.

'Ronnie, did you say grace where you lived before?' Dad questioned.

'No, Sir' Ronnie almost whispered.

'Then I guess we can dig in anytime now' Dad stated.

Everybody reached for something to fill thier plate with except for Ronnie.

'May I go to my room?' Ronnie asks

'If you'd like' Mom replies

Ronnie quietly gets up and leaves. A few minutes after she left the dining room I grab her plate and fill it with a little bit of everything.

'Where are you going with that food?' Dad asks

'To Ronnie, Im gunna talk and hang out with her hopefully' I reply

Dad nods and I walk out of the kitchen with a fork and Ronnie's plate of food in hand. I walk up the stairs and knock on the door right beside my own bedroom door. Ronne slowly opens the door.

'Hi' I say

'Hi' Ronnie shyly replies

'Can I come in?' I ask

'Yea' She opens the door

I get into her bedroom and make my way over to her bed. I sit on the end of her bed. She follows me but sits in the middle of her queen size bed. She pulls the covers over her legs.

'I brought you some food' I say breaking the silence

'Thanks' She says slowly taking the food I hand her

I give her the fork and she slowly takes small bites of everything piled on the plate. After realizing how delicious it all tastes she quickly gobbles everything down.

'Thanks' Ronnie says

'You're welcome' I reply

I grab her plate and fork and start walking to the door. I'm stopped half way there by Ronnie's voice.

'Can you stay?' She quietly asks

'Yea' I smile

I walk back to the bed and sit on the spot I preoccupied a few minutes ago. I turn my body so that I'm facing Ronnie.

'So' I say dragging out the word

'How long have you been here?' Ronnie asks

'Ten years' I reply

'Do you like them?'

'Of course! They're my family! I love 'em to death!' I exclaim

'Do you think they'll keep me?'

I then saw in her eyes, the fear, the anger, hatered and sadness. I remembered how scared I was, I didn't know what would happen to me. I hated God for doing that to me, I was mad at him for putting me through what he did. I realized she was going through the same thing I experienced, but she is old enough to understand her emotions unlike I was.

'I'm sure of it, Ronnie. I know what you're going through and you know what? Everything will be okay.' I say

' Positive?' She asks

'Completly' I reply

Unexpectedly Ronnie leans over and wraps her arms around my neck embracing me in a warm hug. I hug her back, hopefully I cheered her up and told her what she needed to hear.

'Are you going downstairs?' She asks

'Do you wanna go downstairs?' I ask

'Yea' She replies

'Let's go then'

Ronnie gets up and follows me out her bedroom and out into the hall.

'Thank you' Ronnie says smiling

'You're welcome' I reply

I continue walking downstairs. Ronnie and I reach the kitchen when Mom stops us.

'Just in time for dessert' Mom smiles

'Yay' I reply sarcastically

I lead Ronnie into the kitchen and back to the table. We sit in the exact same seats we occupied ealier. Mom puts a try of assorted types of square cheesecake pieces. I grab a slice of strawberry and a slice of blueberry cheese cake. Ronnie takes a slice of raspberry and chocolate. Noah and Dad both grab a strawberry and blackberry slice of the delicious cheese cake. Mom grabs herself a slice of the chocolate and a slice of the delicious strawberry. We all dig into our first choice of cake.

'This is delicious!' Ronnie exclaims.