Memories

Over the next few days, Terrell worked on his board. Though he was excited about the improvements, he still felt something was missing.

Contemplating this, he walked along the corridor leading toward the main chamber. He was sure the others were waiting there.

A drone buzzed by. Terrell barely gave it a glance.

With a little help, Roman had gotten a small army of them set up to patrol the endless underground tunnels. The surveillance footage they streamed back was enough to show that, other than the Phantoms, only a few rats ventured around the area.

The reactor is basically perfect. Terrell's thoughts were on his board. Accelerator couldn't be better. Maybe the balance is slightly off? He shifted the black board under his arm, turning a corner. The musky smell didn't bother him in the least as after weeks of living down here it had basically become the smell of home.

How about attaching a mask? The thought stopped him in his tracks as his mind grabbed on to the new idea. Attachable, changeable. One that I can always have with me to use when needed and yet store when I don't. A smile spread across his face. The idea was great. If it was possible...that he would have to find out through trial and error.

Satisfied, Terrell took a step forward. However, he had barely completed it when he felt the imminent danger. He whirled, ready to avoid. His reaction was too late. It dropped from above. The boy lifted an arm to shield himself but it did nothing as there was a loud crash and he was suddenly enclosed in complete darkness.

Silence.

Terrell shifted. He reached out a hand only to feel a solid wall before him.

What is this? He explored further. The wall was all around. He was a trapped rat in a box.

An attack? Every muscle was tense. But no one else is down here...a prank? He could see the guys doing something like this.

He swallowed, taking a step back. His route was immediately blocked by another hard wall. Terrell leaned against it, fists clenching in one hand and the other tightening on the board. His breath grew ragged and he willed himself to pull up the light on his bracelet. His body didn't react as he stood frozen in place.

Memories surged to the surface of his mind, willing to be remembered, willing to be re-lived. Terrell fought back, trying to keep them at bay.

He thought he was over this. He thought it wouldn't come back to haunt him. But it looked like small parts still reminded him of it.

As the memories trickled through he slid to the ground, back still against the wall. He pulled the board closer to himself, hugging it tightly as he tried to win the battle. By now his heart was racing and his hands shaking.

A shape blurred into view before him, forming a small figure. He knew it wasn't real, just a projection of his mind, and yet he could do nothing but watch.

The figure banged feebly against the wall.

"I'm sorry," a childlike voice whimpered. "I'm sorry. Please let me out!"

Though the person had his back turned to him, Terrell knew who it was.

"Please!" the child's voice sounded hoarse, as though he had been calling for a while.

Terrell watched in a trance.

"Mother?" The child leaned his head against the wall, shoulders shaking. "I'm scared," he whispered. Slowly, the child turned.