Ends Meet Beginnings

A thick haze wound its way across Terrell's vision. The boy knew it was a nightmare at the same time as he realized it was interwoven with a memory. He willed himself to wake, however, his mind wasn't about to let him out the easy way.

He heard a shattering and immediately flinched, shying away. This scene was too familiar. He had been here many times before. His mind always took him back. As the teen turned, he already knew what his eyes would find. True to itself, his dream showed him the child cowering in a corner. Their eyes met, just like they always did, and a look of understanding passed between them.

"Calm down!" The familiar voice made both child and teen turn their eyes to it. Through the haze, two figures could be made out.

One, a woman, held what looked like a vase above her head, the other, a teen, struggled as he tried to tear it from her grip.

"Get him out of my sight!" came the maddened scream.

"Mother!" The teen struggled, his own strength tested.

Terrell's eyes darted to the boy trembling in the corner. He watched, eyes filled with both fear and longing.

"He ruined everything!" the woman screeched.

The teen managed to take the potential weapon away. "He wasn't even here," he defended.

"He saw him!" was the return. crazed eyes searched for the target of her anger. "Now he'll never take me back!"

The teen reached out a hand, as thought to comfort her. However, the woman whirled, disappearing into the fog.

"I wish he was never born!" the hateful words echoed.

Terrell watched his younger self blink, eyes hollow.

"You don't mean that!" the other teen called. He turned, familiar eyes landing on the younger boy. "She doesn't mean it," he said softly. However, his own voice showed his hesitation at believing the words he uttered.

Terrell looked from his younger version to the other boy there. Features, similar to his own, made up the face of the guy.

He put the vase down and walked over, crouching before the younger boy. He reached out and ruffled his hair. Almost immediately, the child lurched forward, burying his head in his brother's shoulders.

"She loves you," the older brother whispered as he held the boy close.

Terrell watched from behind the fog.

"And she needs you," the older boy continued. "So...let's just be patient a little longer."

The child drew back, looking up at his brother.

"I promise, one day she'll need you." The older one rubbed the younger's back. "And then we'll help her and show her just how much you mean to her."

"Together?" young Terrell whispered.

His brother smiled down. "Yes. Together."

Liar, Terrell's mind screamed as he watched. Liar!

The fog took over, hiding the scene. A moment later it parted to show him kneeling in a bathroom, cradling the same woman in his arms. Blood covered his hands.

"You couldn't save her," a voice told him.

"I tried," Terrell answered, eyes glued to the scene. "Rayne wouldn't come."

"It's your fault."

"No." Panic filled Terrell. "No. There was nothing I could do!"

A moment later the mist took over and his eyes were drawn to a figure boarding toward him.