Chapter one - Rebels And Royals

Hi guys! My names Klaus, and this is a story about two high school gangs. It starts slow but I promise it will get more interesting. Because I live in England, I have absolutely no idea about how the American Education system works. I know Tyler and Josh are American, but for the purpose of this story they are English and the setting is in England. I hope my spelling and grammar is ok, tell me if anything needs correcting. I hope you enjoy!! Please note: when you see '--' there is a change to the opposite gang.

--------

Joshua Dun didn't look like a leader, though it was quite obvious as well that he wasn't a follower. His red dyed hair, stretched ears, and occasional eye makeup was enough to make any middle aged Christian woman screech at the mere sight of him. His reputation proceeded him too, making every teacher who had the pleasure of seeing his name in their register weep.

Josh was what could be described as a rebel, but what his headmaster would rather call a "teenage delinquent." He had a nasty habit of not turning up to class, yet scooting by with passable grades. Wherever he walked, the faint stench of marijuana followed, clinging to his too-tight and too-dark clothes.

Stone Lake High School was definitely ready for Joshua Dun to graduate, and the teachers had finally found a stroke of luck. Josh was in his final year at secondary school, intending on finished up his year in the hell hole and comitting 100% to his drumming and weed smoking hobbies. It wasn't as if he had time for anything as capitalist and redundant as school anyway. All he wanted to do was smoke weed and listen to music.

Although he showed no signs of leadership whatsoever, the other Starboys looked up to him. The crew of misfits and rebels followed Josh like lost puppies, doing whatever he wanted them to. The Starboys had started off as just Josh and his best friend Brendon, smoking behind the bike sheds during class, and had turned into one of the largest groups in the school. They didn't exactly consider themselves a gang, but the school and community sure did.

The Starboys were definitely known around Stone Lake, that's for sure. Nobody knew exactly who they were, as they wore hoodies or masks when attending to their "business," but their tag was spray-painted on the side of almost every building in the city. Business usually consisted of graffiti, small amounts of shoplifting, and selling pot around the school. Everyone hated them, but they didn't seem to care at all. In fact, they got quite a kick out of it.

Nobody stood a chance against the Starboys. That is, until the Kings showed up.

--

Tyler Joseph didn't think he was better than anyone else. It was just that, well, he kind of was. Perfect grades, perfect attendance, perfect athlete, perfect attitude. Tyler Joseph was perfect, through and through. You could ask anybody at the Stone Lake Academy what they thought of him - student, professor, even the headmaster - and they would have nothing but good things to tell you.

Tyler had applied at Stone Lake Academy for Boys the young age of five, and was immediately accepted. Some said that it was because of his parent's money, which was simply untrue. Tyler had never attended a public school in his life, having first "graduated" from the Academy's brother school, Stone Lake Infant school. The younger school ran from ages three through to six, but Tyler had skipped a year due to being what his teachers described as "prodigy material." The academy ran from ages seven to sixteen. He had been raised to be a star, and hadn't shed a single tear when he was sent off to a private boarding school when most children would have a tantrum over the crusts still being on their toast each morning.

It wasn't as if the Joseph family's money hadn't played quite a big role in Tyler being accepted to the prestigious academy. His parent's involvement within the school board and church helped Tyler's application process tremendously. Along with Tyler excelling at every subject and extra-curricular that he took on, his parents donated a fat cheque to the home and school board every year, which made the headteacher love Tyler Joseph just that little bit more.

Now in his final year at the academy, Tyler was still living up to everyone's near impossible standards for him. He was still the star of the football team with a squeaky-clean record, and was in the running for student board leader. He was, by far, the youngest in his year, being only fourteen years old when he walked through the doors on his first day of year eleven. His fellow classmates were fifteen going on sixteen. Having skipped a year put him a year below the rest of the upperclassmen, and having a birthday in June made it even worse. Being younger made him strive even harder to be the best, wanting to prove to himself, the school (and more importantly, his parents) that he could be the best of the best.

However, that's a lot of pressure to put on such a small child. From the age of three on, Tyler was told that he had to be the best at everything. While most children are told to have fun and do their best, Tyler was always taught that his best simply was not good enough, and "good enough" would never be enough. He had to be the perfect student, perfect boy, perfect Christian. Praying four or five times a day was natural to him, and wanting to cleanse himself of bad spirits all the time was just normal.

Lately, Tyler had started to think that all of it was a lie. If God was real, then why did things such as war, poverty, murder, rape, and child abuse still exist? In a perfect world, a world where there was even such thing as a God, wouldn't none of those things happen? Tyler had never vocalized these thoughts to anyone, only scrubbing at his skin in the shower hard enough to drive the dark thoughts out of him, cleanse himself of his blasphemy. Even if he did tell anyone, the nuns would just tell him to pray more. Praying was always the answer, after all. Ask, and God shall answer.

The constant pressure, the religion constantly shoved down his throat by his parents and the strictly Catholic private boarding school that he attended, the expectation that he would be the absolute best in everything from everyone. All of these things, along with the dark parts of his own mind that the largest amounts of soap or holy water couldn't quite reach, were what made him form the Kings in the first place.