Chapter 15

Should I speed up the love story or nah?

kayden.

I winced and cursed under my breath as the cleansing alcohol was met with my skin, being dabbed (somewhat) gently from a cotton ball by the nurse. Luckily, she paid no mind to my slight profanity- or just didn't hear.

There really was nothing she could do for my countless bruises, so instead she only focused on the cuts that scattered from my cheek to hands. I had gashes on my knees from colliding on the concrete that the nurse had wrapped in bandages after disinfecting them. Pain still ached my body, leaving me feeling feeble and unclean.

"Okay Mr. Evens, I've done the best I've can to fix 'ya up so my apologies for leftover pain. I'll send report down to the office about Miss Kline, sorry for the inconvenience." She says in the sweetest voice she could muster up.

"That's fine, can I go to class?" I ask and she nods but stops me before I'm out the door.

"It's second block by now." She advises and I nod.

+++++++later; after school+++++++

"Opal, what the actual hell?" Connor screeches, storming up to his 'girlfriend' once she exits the office with a slightly smug look placed on her face.

"Oh, Connor, hey! I've been looking for you!" She says in a faux gleeful tone, approaching the furious boy and wrapping his thin arms around his neck.

"No, get away from me. Stay away from me, and if you don't get the memo I'll say it simply- we are through." He scoffs scathingly, untangling himself from her grasp and stalking off, more so to find Kayden.

When Connor finds the smaller, injured boy, he's sitting on a bench while a girl is all over him. She seems to be scanning his body, touching every injury visible to her and looking at him with concerned yet furious eyes.

He has a girlfriend?

He can't help but notice that his heart twinges at the sight, but he shrugs it away and continues to approach the seeming couple. "Hey Kayden, how are you feeling?" I ask in a slightly gently tone.

"Pain." Kayden says bluntly and the girl next to him bursts out in laughter.

"Before this conversation escalates, I'll take the pleasure of introducing myself since Mr. Pain over here won't." The girl states, glancing at Kayden and giving him a spiteful yet amused glance. "Hi, I'm Katelina, Kayden's one and only friend!"

Kayden shoots her a dignified looks that made her erupt in laughter once again. "Nice to meet you I'm Connor, though I think I'd consider myself to be Kayden's friend. So if we're counting, that would be his... Second." I state playfully, the look on her faces tells me she already knew my name, but it seemed the polite thing to do.