Chapter 19: Walking Around With Mud Up To My Knees

(Trenton’s Point of View)

“Dad, will you stop failing?” I ask as I mash the buttons on my controller. I was watching my dad play video games and once again I had to take the controller from him to save him from death.

“I am just not good at your buttons mashing skill games.” Dad pushes himself off of the couch. “We should play a game I might succeed in.” Dad goes over to the closet and swings it open. He returns to the couch moments later with a game in his hands. Lego Indiana Jones. I remeber me and Xavier playing the game together and him getting all angry and competitive. Sadness overwhelms me. It has been a week since I broke up with Xavier. I remember Cassie telling me he wasn’t worth my sadness. She and I watched the notebook together while drowning ourselves in ice cream. After that we sung together all the rude break up songs we could think of- her favorite of them was I love it by Icona Pop- and talked about how much Xavier sucked. She always did know how to make me feel better.

“Um, I guess we could play that game Dad.” I look up at my father and try to smile at him.

“It gets better kid,” he says to me. My eyes went wide. “What? I know what a breakup looks like. I have lived my far share of heartbreaks too.” Dad goes to put the game away. He must have noticed that I came unhappy when I saw that game. “The thing you have to remember is that there are other fish in the sea.” He turns and smiles at me. “There is this nice fish living on our street who moved in not to long ago.”

“Stop saying that everyone is a bunch of fishes.”

“I do as I please. Now get out of this house and go over to either Cassie’s or Kendon’s now. Stop being so glum and that is an order.” I glare at him but get up to leave. He is just trying to do what is best for me and I can’t get mad at him for that. He is my dad and I love him dearly.

I walk into Cassie’s house to see that is empty. She’s not home? Where the hell would she be? “Hello?” I call out to the empty area.

“Trent?” I hear a voice call back. Cassie’s mother walks into the room with a small smile on her face.

“Hey, Kimmy do you know where Cassie is?” I ask her sweetly. I love Kimberly. She is the sweetest woman I have ever met.

“Trent dear, I’m sorry I sent her out to practice her driving. She went to buy some groceries.” I meant Xavier while shopping for groceries. “What’s wrong darling?”

“Just... nothing Kimmy it’s alright.”

“I don’t think it is.” Kimberly walks over to where I am standing and pulls me into her arms. “I think there is something going on in that head of your. I bet you wanted to talk to Cassie about it but she’s not here. Can I try and help you?” I sigh and tell Kimberly what has happened. Not every single thing but just the event overall.

“I really really like him but then he just smashed my heart.” I feel a tear fall down my cheek which Kimberly wipes away with her thumb.  

“I think that is a thing hard to go through and it won’t be easy to bounce back from. You just need to take a break honey. Just go and be with friends until you are ready to get back into dating. Don’t pity yourself forever but also don’t force yourself to heal.” I pull away from Kimberly’s embrace and smile at her. A true smile. Kimberly smiles back at me while tipping her head to the side slightly. Her blonde curls moved with this motion.

“Thanks Kimmy. That helps a lot.”

“I bet it did because your father’s advice most likely wasn’t very good.” She laughs lightly.

“You’re right Kimmy it was pretty crappy. I have to go though. I’m going to spend my time with some friends until I feel ready to get back in the dating game.”