Chapter Seven: Don't You Remember?

I scrambled the eggs before adding salt, pepper, cheese and a little bit of cilantro. Just how Jason likes it. The smoke was rising from the pan and eggs popping, and simmering from the olive oil under them. If you had a cynical mind, you would hear tiny high pitched screams the heat was making the eggs let out. Pulling the plates across the counter and closer to the pan, I transferred the well done eggs to the plates, also putting the pre-prepared turkey sausages and strawberry pancakes.

Opening the fridge, I pulled out the milk and orange juice cartons. I personally don't like milk, but with anything too sweet Jason has to drink it for balance. Never understood that.
Putting the cartons on the counter with the glasses, I advanced towards the dining room to put the plates of food on the table first. Doubling back, I went to get the beverages and drinking glasses only to find Jason had them already.

"I got these." He said.

Nodding my head, I backed up into the dining room once again and got seated. I gave a small smile as Jason sat my glass near my plate and filled it up with orange juice. I watched as he poured himself the disgusting white liquid and sat down, ready to eat.

Looking down at my place, I swished my eggs around. Stabbing a little piece I brought it to my mouth and chewed slowly. I felt Jason staring at me, making me slightly nervous ....or uncomfortable. The two became undecipherable. Quickly looking at Jason, I met his eyes but looked away fast as if I meant to look at something else.

"Not hungry?" He asked.
Glancing at him strangely I held my mouth open slightly, while taking a few seconds to reply.

Clearing my throat I said "Not really.",

Picking up my fork I had previously sat down, Jason scooped up a good amount of egg and bought it to my mouth.
Completely shocked now, he took that opportunity to shove the eggs in my mouth.

"Yum. You seasoned them perfectly, don't you agree?"

I took a moment to swallow my food and nodded.
"Yes..." I said cautiously, suspicious as to why he's being so nice. He hasn't been this agreeable in a long time. A long time. Usually it wouldn't matter if I seasoned anything correctly, he would find a problem with everything on the plate and proceed to bring up all of my short comings and flaws but today? Today already seemed different. Like I was warped into a parallel universe or something. Yes, that strange. I recalled the events that's been happening for the last few days and started to fill giddy inside. It wasn't happiness.....was it? No. No, it was hope. Now that...is dangerous. Snapping out of my thoughts I zoned back in.

"And the pancakes..." Jason said as he guided the utensil up to my mouth once again. "So warm and fluffy."

Before I knew it, Jason had fed me more than half of my breakfast. I was full! I looked down at my plate in awe, he actually took the time to make sure I ate.

What's going on here? I was waiting for the prank crew to jump out and gloat in my face but no....nothing. Now I know things have been strange lately but come on...this is a whole 180 act going on. I'm not used to this at all.

"Well I'm going to be late, I've got to go.", Jason got up from his chair and straightened his suit.

"Wait." Before he walked away, I grabbed his hand. "Why did you feed me?"

He glanced up and said a rhetorical
"Why did I feed you?" Sitting back down, Jason looked at me like I had his full attention. Well, at least the jack ass sarcastic behavior didn't vanish completely.

"Do you remember when we use to have mornings like this? You'd make my favorite, I'd get the drinks and I'd feed you lovingly until it was time for me to leave?"

I'm sure I looked dumbfounded.

"Yes...but why?" I asked, still extremely confused at his recall and loving nature. I had to check if this was still the same man that called me ugly and unkempt a few days ago. Or who said he didn't want to have children with me just yesterday.

"Because, the moment raised and I use to love our mornings like that."

'Just like I use to love how kind you use to be, the man you were when I first met you.' I thought silently. Looking at him with a blank face I forced a small smile.

"Me too." I said "You're going to be late, better get a move on."

After Jason left, I couldn't help but feel fooled and mad as hell. After years of torment and bruises, physical and mental he decides to change seemingly over night. I also felt betrayed but not by him but by myself because I felt me falling for it. I have to remember the pain, because no one should ever get off that easy. He should have to answer for his changes just as I had to answer for mine. But then again, this could be very good news for me...he's turning over a new leaf, he's being nicer and in that niceness there'll be room for penance.

After my conflicted brewing of thoughts there's only one thing I wanted, vengeance.