Chapter 12

Shunsuke's POV

"How can I save you?"

That question kept on resonating in my mind for these past few days.

How?

My hands move rythmically on my office desk as I think of a possibilities to do the impossible. Books written in braille laying messily everywhere near my cold hands.

Unnatural Human Abilities
      By Prof.Faust Schimt

Emotional Disabilities
By Prof.Sandra Roberts

These books were actually written in English language but thanks to my consistency of expanded vocabulary I somehow managed to read a few difficult books. I decided to pulled the last volume of encyclopedia from the shelf behind me.

Meteorite Effects
By Eskine Nord

I opened it:

Theoretically meteors were a natural phenomenon that rarely occurs in a few decades or centuries time spans. A  meteor was  define as a small body of matter from outer space that enters the earth's atmosphere, becoming incandescent as a result of friction and appearing as a streak of light.

The meteorite than happens to successfully passed the Earth's atmosphere may exert some kind of 'magical' dust. Till today, scientist haven't yet figured out  a scientific explanation  behind these mysterious. On the other hand, there were various connection between witches and magicians mythology about these dust giving extraordinary abilities to the person who inhaled it. A meteor called the infamous Charlotte happens to be the only  meteor  that carries a magnificent amount of these dust causing world spread of unnatural powers especially towards  the adolescent community world wide.

There are few rare cases where  Charlotte hit straight to ones home. In a realistic manner, ones cannot survived  the full exposure of  these dust. Adults who inhaled will instantly died to its poisonous nature. Miraculously, a toddler or an early teenager  will face a great amount of power from the dust and cannot be cure by anything. It is highly unlikely of losing your humanity cause of excessive power use from the dust. From accidentally killing others in the process to be turn into a dangerous weapon. Such power can be a great threat to the world if it was used in the wrong hands.

In accord to this explanation, there was a experiment conducted by a group of scientist in the year 1821, Alfred a boy originated from England was  identified to have powerful  mind control because the exposure of great amount  Charlotte's dust. They sent out a hypothesis that his ability will cure over time like others who have the same abilities. But, on the contrary of their  ideas his ability went out of control by the time he reached the age 21 way over past the time limits causing mass destruction of his village in west Yorkshire. There was never a proven method to  get 'rid' of such powerful  ability.

My whole body slumped on my blue office chair as I began pushing the book out in exasperation.

'None of these make sense' I thought closing my eyes in hopes of clearing my head from all the new information I just obtained. Well, if Airi was in the same boat with this Alfred boy. Maybe I'll could go through the news where he destroyed his hometown.

"Here's your water." a familiar soft voice came ringing through my ears. My mouth slowly curling up into a smile "Mei-san? Is that you?"

"No." she said while her footsteps fading out of hearing I guess she was sitting at the couch the entire time. I chuckled at her cuteness 'So cute.'

"Thank you for your kindness" I said gratefully drinking the water from the cup Airi had given me. I like how her kindness isn't pretentious like the female protagonist in some anime manga. Honestly, I think its refreshing.

Knock-knock

A soft knocked could be heard from the door . I raise my head to the source of sound "Come in."

"Hello." a male voice awkwardly greeted me from the door.I smiled at him "Kirito? Mei-san's friend I presumed"

"Yup. May I have a seat?" he said politely. "Of course and please, no need for formalities."

He sat down probably beside Airi.Sometimes, I really do admire his capability of showing emotions so openly and freely when she was around.

"Let me get straight to the point, I heard that you want to help Ai. Can I join you?" he sad bluntly. Mental note, no beating around the bushes with this guy. I could feel him staring intently at me "Sure, why not."

"Thanks." I heard him sighed in relief while his breathing was more consistent than before. A comical silence surrounded this neatly organized office."You guys are being an awkward bunch." Airi blurted out earning a sigh from Kirito.

"Shush.I'm thinking of a question that I was going to ask him." he shushed Airi but I could sense he was refraining from running out from the office because he was nervous. Another footsteps coming in to my office, it must be pooh (Kumagami. )

"Oh. You again." he must be talking about Kirito  I could tell by his annoyed tone.

.............................

Kumagami's POV

"Oh.You again." I was clearly annoyed to see this blue haired kid that Shun and I met at the hospital a month ago. He was sitting beside the weird pink haired girl, honestly what's so special about her anyway? I don't see why Shun seemed so interested at her.

"Touche" he smiled smugly at me. 'Dear handsome me, please refrain from hitting him square in the face.'

I let out a long breath before walking to Shun's side while crossing my arm in annoyance. The smug smiled remained on his ugly face until the girl nudged at him. He turned his attention to her before sighing "Sorry."

"...? Why are you apologizing ?" Shun smiled at them not knowing what was going on. Dear heavens, I wish he saw that boy's ugly face and want punch him as well.  That blue haired boy started speaking "Well...you know...someone just hit a nerve or two."

'Patience Kumagami patience.' I take a deep breath while mustering my finest glare at him. Finally, Shun spoke up "I see you guys getting along." he laughed. I stared at him disbelief "Friends with that punk?! Are you kidding me?"  I muttered under my breath making that punk laughed with him.

"Haha..I can see that." he seem to sent a cocky grin towards me. The girl seem to looked disinterest at the coffee table. At least someone knows how to shut up. The blue haired boy seems to notice something and turn his attention back to the girl "Are you hungry?"

She nodded slowly, making him smiled fondly at her. Is he a psychic?

"Well, I might know a place that sells the best ramen in town." Shun suggested interrupting the boy's gaze as a strange expression shadowing on his face "Sure, let's go then."

He grabbed the girl's hand and dragged her outside. I turned to him "You just make the poor kid jealous."

"Why?" I chuckled at his confusion before an epiphany hit him "He loves her??"

He was clearly shocked at this fact "His gaze at her is far too obvious. I can sense rivalry already." I said with a teasing look

"But--Wait what?" he blurted out flustered at this situation he was currently caught up in

Before he could question any more of this I practically dragged him out of the office "Let's go. We don't want to be late now."

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for not updating. I was so caught with playing games I almost forget I had a fan fiction to write on. I hope you enjoy this chapter * smiles *