Chapter III

"What is it?" Micah asked, forgetting about the cake. (who forgets cake?????)
       Rebecca handed him a picture. The picture showed two kids, a girl and a boy. The girl was pushing the boy sitting on a swing connected to a tree. They were both laughing with their eyes closed. The sad part of the picture was that the boy looking only of 12 or 13 had a wheelchair next to the swing, waiting for him.
       "Isn't it sad?" Rebecca asked Micah.
       "What's sad about a brother and sister having fun together?" Micah asked.
       "I'm talking about the wheelchair," Rebecca said. "Are you completely oblivious to the sad aspects of life?"
       "Well, no, but I like looking on the bright side of things," Micah replied. "You know, more of a glass half full kind of person."
       "Well I like looking on the bright side too, but we have to focus on the facts. We can't dilly-dally." Rebecca said, in detective mode.
       Micah sighed, "All right, where to?" he asked.
       "We see if there's a tree that looks like this outside," Rebecca said. "The swing might be gone, but if this picture was taken at this house we should be able to find the tree."
       They started walking to the front door.
       "Unless it was cut down," Micah said. He was coming up with all sorts of scenarios now. "Or it's at another house. Or it's in a park. Or-"
       Rebecca cut him off, "NOT helping."
       "Fine," Micah grumbled.

                      *                       *                          *

       The pair walked up to the front door and gave a mighty heave.
       "I forgot how how heavy this looked," said Micah.
       "How to get out now," Rebecca contemplated.
       "We could go back down that rickety ladder," said Micah. "I know you don't want to Rebecca, but that's pretty much our only way out right now."
        Rebecca hesitated. "Okay." She finally answered. "If we don't get back soon, mother will be worried, and then she'll call the cops saying that her children were kidnapped, and then when we do get back she'll ask where we've been, and then we'll have to tell her, and then she'll make us promise never to come back, and you know my weakness about not being able to break promises." She said, a little out of breath.
       So they went back up to the landing. When Micah opened the window, a strong gust of wind almost pushed him off his feet, but he managed to regain his balance before he fell on the floor. Micah got on first, and then they started the decent. When they were about halfway dow the ladder the wind started pushing Rebecca too hard, and she crashed down the ladder, landing on top of Micah and pushing them both to the bottom of the ladder.