Chapter VI

"I fell backwards," Owen said wincing. "Then everything went black. I woke up in this ghost's body. But that's not the worst of it. I was about to discover something amazing. Astonishing. The whole world was waiting for it to happen. And I almost discovered it in science class."
       "What was it?" Rebecca and Micah asked, intrigued.
       "Time travel," Owen said, almost sounding astonished himself. "Time travel just knocking at my doorstep just waiting to be discovered 2 seconds later. To inspire me, me of all people, to become a scientist."
       "How do you know you were going to discover time travel?" Micah asked.
       "Oh, that," Owen said, back in reality. (or, at least, as much reality as a 13 year old ghost can be in) "They let you see what would have happened if you hadn't..... you know."
       "So you really would've discovered it 2 seconds later?" Rebecca asked.
       "Yep," Owen sighed. "Wanna see it?" he said at the same time as Micah said, "Can we see it?"
       "Wait you guys, Owen told us 'I would have discovered 2 seconds later.' So he doesn't have the technology to do it," Rebecca said.
       "Well I watched what to do to make it," Owen said. "So why wouldn't I make it? I just didn't introduce it to the world."
       "Well that makes sense," Rebecca muttered.
       "Can we go already?" Micah asked, tapping his foot on the ground in impatience.
       "Yeah, follow me," Owen said.
       He led them to a wall on the opposite side of the room.
       "There's.... nothing here," said Rebecca, confused.
       "Of course there is," Owen gestured for them to stand on a specific square of floor, then pressed a camouflaged button and the wall flipped.
       "Ugh, that felt weird," Micah said.
       "Oh, yeah, forgot to to tell you about that," Owen said. "I'm used to it by now."
       "How old would you be if you were still..." Rebecca didn't know how to finish without offending Owen.
      "Alive? Don't worry, it's okay to talk about that, I've become accustomed to the idea since I've been in this body for over 2 centuries," Owen said, answering Rebecca's question and reassuring her at the same time. "We ghosts don't age. I'm stuck with a 13 year old's mind forever, don't think I died twice or whatever."
       "Okay, so where's that time machine or whatever?" asked Rebecca.
       "And why haven't you gone back in time and saved yourself yet?" Micah asked.
       "It's right up there, and the ghost king would never allow it," Owen answered. "He says, my quote 'ghosts should be permanently ghosts' and all that. Plus, it would cause a paradox."
       There was a raised platform in front of them, and in the raised platform, was a hole, but this hole was not just an ordinary hole, there was blue light where the floor would've been, and just when Rebecca and Micah were about to jump in, Owen shouted, "WAIT!" Rebecca and Micah waited. "I forgot to tell you about my power. I can turn completely invisible, which is why you couldn't see me before, and when I think it in my head, I can make you invisible too. We're going to need that, because any slight sight of us, and we could cause a catastrophe. And besides, you don't even know when you're going to, you need to decide."
       "Can we go to 1865?" Rebecca asked. "I want to see Lincoln, and how people reacted to the assassination."
       "Sure thing, Rebecca," Owen said. "Just jump in." he said, and in they went, all three of them.
       "Howdy, strangers, when would you like to go to?" an old-timey looking guy behind a desk said.
       "1865 please," Rebecca said politely.
       "Yes'm," he said, flipped a switch, then let out a surprisingly evil laugh.
       When they landed, Rebecca looked around, "Owen?!"