Chapter 5 - Alok

The following morning, I woke up with burning eyes, and remembered that I had cried myself to sleep. I always did that: instead of busting into tears in front of everyone and making a big scene, I would contain it and wait until I went to bed before letting it all out.

   That night, specifically, it had been Stormshine's dreadful tale that had induced my tears. I had thought that I had a rough life, but no one ever made outright statements that I was weak, or rejected me because I wasn't some Chosen One from a prophecy.

   I stayed in my bed until Randa arrived with my breakfast. When she did, assumed my usual facade of nothing-can-get-me-down and joked about the various ways I could get the king to start accepting me. Then we started talking about the race again, and my disguise.

   "I can't keep coming back to the castle, though," I said, "Even if I do, I at least need some alibi, in case people do get suspicious."

   "You can go ask Cule if he's willing to be your alibi," she suggested.

   "Cule? The blacksmith?" I asked, pulling a face at the thought of all the dirt, "Well, I suppose. He's easy to manipulate. I'll just take some money from the royal vault and bribe him."

*

   And so it was that, two hours later, I was standing on the threshold of the blacksmith, my disguise fully intact. I reckoned that it was safer if he did not really know who I was.

   "What do yeh want?" he asked without greeting.

   "I have a proposition for you, which I think you will find most compelling," I replied, "May I come in?"

   "What kinda prop'sition?" he demanded.

   "The kind that you will get paid for. That is, if you accept."

   "Fine," he said, stepping aside. "Make it quick."

   "As you might be aware, I am one of the candidates for the dragon race," I said, looking nervously at the vast collection of different weapons all around the small house, "But I can't have anyone knowing of my true residence. That's why, whenever someone asks, I'm going to tell them that you had adopted me, and you are going to second that."

   "Why would I wanna do that?"

   I took a pouch filled with coins from within my cloak and set it down on the table. "Because, as I understand it, you have a keen eye for treasures. There is fifty gold pieces in there. Do you accept?"

   "What exactly is it yeh want me ter do?" he asked, his eyes never leaving the pouch.

   "Convince everyone you know that you had adopted me, and that I sleep here every night and have no extra-cirricular activities other than the race. Make your sons participate in this deception, as well. I can't have anyone blabbing around that I have a secret identity," I said.

   "Tha's it?" he asked, looking at me for the first time, suspicion glinting in his eyes. I nodded. "Fine, I'll do it."

   "Thank you for your time," I said, and left.

*

   Later that day, after my session with Cirimgor - I could now land almost perfectly, no matter how he tested me - I was at the dragon stables, polishing Stormshine's scales, when I heard a familiar voice.

   "Don't worry, I'll take care of it," the voice said. I frowned to myself, trying to remember where I had heard it before.

   "The training fields!" I hissed, "That was the guy who helped me!"