Chapter 6 - Triple Threat

I was woken by a series of seemingly urgent knocks on the door. I sat up groggily and called, "Yes?"

   To my horror, it was my father who entered.

   "Father! I'm not decent!" I cried, holding up my blanket to conceal my partially visible chest.

   "Apologies, Allania," he said, facing the door as he spoke, "I came to tell you that - well - I want you to dress properly today. I daresay some special people wish to talk with you."

   "Special people?" I repeated, wondering whether it was something to do with the race.

   "Yes. Make sure you are presentable at all times during the day, and do not vanish without explanation as you have done these past few days. Is that understood?"

   "Fine," I said. "But who are these 'special people', exactly?"

   "You shall see soon enough."

   With that, he exited the room again, banging my door closed. Just as I lay back to try and fall asleep again, however, there were more knocks on my door and Randa entered.

   "Good morning, princess," she said. I got up and she placed my tray with breakfast on my lap.

   "I need you to dress extra carefully today," I told her, "My father said some 'special people' are coming to talk to me."

   "Oh, you mean the princes?" she asked, picking up dirty clothes from the floor.

   "What?"

   "The princes are all chattering about how they're going to impress you during the day," she said, "No doubt they'll all try to court you."

   I snorted. "Hah! More reason for you to be here instead of me."

   "Oh, no, no, no, princess," she said, "I'm afraid I can't do that. You have made it perfectly clear that you want nothing to do with these princes, and I'll just bugger that up."

   "Come on! You've been acting as me all week!"

   "This is different," she said, "It's one thing to be indifferent to the gossip of a group of duchesses, but it's another thing entirely to be cold to a man who is flirting with me. I can't do that, milady. I'm sorry."

   "Fine," I pouted, "Can you at least cover for me for an hour or two, so that I can go tell Cule to tell everyone who asks that I won't be within contact during the day?"

   "Very well," she said, "Don't go trying to sneak out on me, anyway. If two hours have passed, and you're not back, I won't cover for you any more."

   "I'll be back," I sighed.

   Half an hour later, I was standing on Cule's threshold. I knocked a few times and was sure I heard urgent whispering before the door was opened, yet there was no one else in the house apart from the grouchy man in front of me. I explained to Cule that I will be busy during the day and that, should anyone look for me, he should tell them he sent me away on an errand. Halfway through my speech, Alok turned up and greeted me pleasantly, but I simply ignored him before going back to the palace.

   When I wanted Randa to bring me lunch, she told me that Hobson requested I eat it out in the garden. I knew it was because one, or possibly all of the princes, wanted to join me, but I also knew that, if I did not go, I risked my father's happiness. And his happiness is what would make Randa's salary go up.

   So it was that I got up with a whine and went down all four flights of stairs, outside and into the garden. Instead of the princess, I saw Devor's mother sitting there, sipping on a cup of tea.