Chapter 8 - The Feast

I sent a male servant into the city to buy a dark blue dress for me. He returned almost an hour later, but with an excellent choice, almost exactly as I would have chosen it: its bodice was decorated with black lace. The servant seemed a little nervous by the choice, but when I told him that I loved it, he walked away with a grin.

   "Are you sure you want to rebel like this?" Randa asked.

   "This is the only way to get him to stop buying frilly pink garbage for me," I snapped.

   Randa helped me into my new dress, piled the top half of my hair on top of my head and let the rest flow down my shoulders before applying more makeup to my face.

   I slipped five silver pieces into the folds of my dress in the event that I want to buy something for myself before I went down the stairs and met my family, along with that of the other princes, in the entrance hall. While Araol looked at me with admiration, my father seemed to get a miniature stroke before saying, "Well, Allania, you look - uhm - stunning."

   "Thank you, Father," I said in my sickly sweet voice.

   "Well, then, let us be off."

   We followed my father outside, where several groups of people were carrying carriage contraptions, and I realised that these people would have to carry us all the way to the city square.

   "Father," I tried protesting, "There is no need for these people to take us. We can-"

   "Nonsense. It would be unfit for royalty to walk anywhere," he interrupted, "Get inside."

   "It won't kill us to walk," I said deliberately, and one of the carriers looked at me appreciatively. "Just, please-"

   "Allania, get inside, or you're not going at all," he growled.

   I found my mind battling with itself. On one hand, I pitied the poor people who would have to carry us for almost an hour straight; on the other, I really wanted to go to this party. I took a deep breath and got into the carriage. I peered outside, folding the curtains around my face to block the view from the inside before taking four of my silver coins and giving it to the nearest carrier.

   "One for each of you," I whispered.

   "Thank you, princess," the man whispered back. He handed the others their coins before lifting up the carriage.

   "Allania, keep your head inside," I heard my mother say. I rolled my eyes and sat like I was taught a princess should.

   I could not understand why my father had not simply taken us with horse carriages: these were extra trouble for the servants and much more uncomfortable. The threat of them stumbling and causing us to fall loomed ever so close as the time passed.

   Finally, after what seemed an eternity, I was allowed out of the carriage. Before I could stop myself, I said, "I'm so sorry, guys, that you had to suffer my father's belly all this time."

   They burst out in laughter, and my father forced a laugh as well before glaring at me. I snorted before going about my merry way.

   "Where do you think you're going?" he asked.

   "On the one night you allow me into the city, are you really going to keep me on a leash?" I snapped.

   "I shall accompany her, your majesty," Araol said, suddenly standing beside me. For once, I was grateful toward him.

   He held out his elbow for me, and I grasped it from the inside. He led me further into the city until we rounded a corner and was enveloped in rainbow-coloured confetti, a blast of loud music from the band at the front, and masses of people chatting and dancing.