Chapter 19

Alex

I was dizzy, a blinding white light before my blocking out my vision. For some reason, I was feeling empty, as if I were stripped of all the energy that was built up inside me. I then hesitantly raised my hand to my face, noting that it was coated with blood. My blood.

I was in pain, but I couldn't do anything. I kept hearing someone shouting, but I couldn't see them anywhere. All I could see were two figures on opposing sides of differing heights. The sound was as if I were being followed by a ghost who hid itself every time I searched for it. I wasn't sure what was going on, but once I heard someone call my name everything went black, and I became numb.

I opened my eyes in a flash, panting and sweating intensely as if I had just run a marathon. My hair was hanging over my eyes and blocking my vision as I looked around my room, expecting to see something that would tell me something about my dream and whether it was real or not, but instead I found everything in its usual space. Not a single thing out of order.

I sighed then and brushed my long bangs out of my face, proceeding to push back my covers and try to forget the dream I had just witnessed. Though, I found that I just couldn't stop thinking about its meaning and its imagery as I gathered my clothing for the day and paused to brush my teeth. Even in the shower I found many questions about this dream occupying my mind and replacing my usual thoughts about how small my existence really is in this spinning world of ours and my thoughts about if there are alternate universes out there with an alternate me.

Nonetheless, I ignored my thoughts and noticed that my hair was slowly starting to fade back to its natural color, the bright orange to marigold colors of dye in my hair were now washing away to reveal the crimson that was hidden away a couple of years ago. I'd soon have my supposed father's hair color again, as much as I hated looking like a man that I'll probably never know. What's the use in resembling someone who was never here for you?

I got lost in thought to the point where I accidentally stayed in the shower for over an hour, then quickly got out, got dressed, and rushed to breakfast, cursing my wandering mind. I guess it was a usual thing for me to get lost in thought while showering, but it usually doesn't make me stay in there that long! Maybe its because my mind's so busy right now, between Seiko disappearing, that attempted robbery the other day, and that dream. I don't even know how I've managed to focus lately.

"You're pretty late today," I heard Xavier comment as I ran into the little cafeteria and grabbed one of the remaining muffins on one of the shelves. I turned around and looked at him as he sipped his coffee, reading through something on his tablet.

"Slept in on accident," I lied, before taking a bite out of my muffin, noticing that it was banana nut. It'd probably be embarrassing to say I spaced out in the shower for an entire hour.

"Ah, that happens," Xavier said, setting down his tablet, "I'm just so used to seeing you get here early so you get what you want instead of what's leftover. I thought you may have skipped breakfast."

"Oh, no no. My stomach wouldn't allow that," I laughed, "But, uh, anyways, how are things going with you?"

"Quite swell actually. I've started writing some poems online, though sometimes I really fall short on inspiration," he replied, chuckling, "But, what about you? You seem happier than you have been in the past few months. How is life treating you?"

Like shit, I wanted to say, but instead I answered something less concerning. "Alright, I guess. I'm adjusting, and getting back to doing what I usually do."

Xavier smiled. "Well, that's good. I'm glad to see you're better," he replied, "I'm sure Nadine would be pleased, especially since she and Yuuko and currently in the process of trying to track down where Seiko has gone."