Chapter 28

Alex

The first few weeks of my life returning to what I considered normal were quite hectic to say the least.

First, I spent a few days in a hospital, with either Yamikani or Fahmida watching over me to make sure no doctors took my blood or found out about my powers. Meanwhile, I had found that Ashaki had donated her blood to restore all the blood that I had lost, since she was the same type as me and because of the fact that gifteds can't donate blood to each other for fear of power mixture. Needless to say, I was grateful for her contribution.

After I had left the hospital, the news blaring about the death of a certain celebrity and his trashed building was heard everywhere. I could almost recite all the words used in every newscast, each detailing elaborate and exaggerated ways Kalle could have died, as well as mourning words that cried out the question of why such a young & 'innocent' celebrity was murdered. None of us were named as suspects, but I expected suspects to be named soon, as my blood is on the floor of the library in the building and Seiko had touched the knife's handle. I expected the police to be at our doorstep at any moment.

As some sort of twisted memoir from the fight with Kalle, a slightly jagged scar was now present on the skin of my abdomen. I hated it, especially since I could see it every time I changed in front of a mirror or lifted up my shirt. I honestly wished it was like the scar on my back, where I couldn't see it and therefore it wouldn't bother me. Though, unfortunately, I cannot change the placement of my awful scars, especially the ones that I must hide from view.

I guess I can consider these scars as trophies though. Like reminders that I have survived many distressing situations and I can survive many more, though I wouldn't know exactly how many more I could survive. This ordeal with Kalle was close enough call for me, as I swear I was starting to drift into death when I reached the hospital. I never want to be in a position like that ever again.

Though, aside from the new scar, I started to notice that Seiko started to isolate herself from both me and the others as the weeks went on. I didn't understand why, and even started to question if I had done something wrong, but came to a dead end. Thus, I decided to go see for myself, deciding that I really shouldn't let this go on if it was over something serious. Especially if it had anything to do with her state of emotion.

So, a month and a half after our battle with Kalle, I found myself knocking at her door, hoping she was inside. Within a few moments, Seiko cracked the door open, peering at me through her barely-opened door. "Hey...uh...is everything going alright?" I asked, to which she sighed.

"Yeah. What makes you think everything's going bad?" Seiko questioned.

"Well....you've kinda been isolating yourself from everyone lately. I just wanted to make sure that you were okay," I told her, "Besides, I've known you for a pretty long time. I can tell when you're not feeling the best."

Seiko took a moment before sighing once again. "I guess there's no use in trying to hide it away, is there?" she asked rhetorically, before opening the door. "Go ahead and come in."

I nodded and entered with her. I then sat in the rolling chair she kept in her room while she sat in her bean bag chair. I noticed now that she looked unkempt, with her hair free from its bun and unbrushed. She looked tired, and seemed to be wearing her pajamas. I almost felt as if I might have interrupted her sleep. "So, what's bothering you? I doubt you brought me in here for nothing," I inquired, sitting forward so I could listen. Seiko was silent for a moment before she decided to speak.

"A lot of things. I don't know where to start," she replied, looking down at her bare feet.

"Just start where you feel comfortable," I told her, to which Seiko sighed and cleared her throat.