Disaster

As they started to eat, Piper caught a flash of silver of Annabeth's left hand. "What. Is. That."

"What?" Leo, Frank, and Jason said in unison.

"That," Reyna pointed to Annabeth's ring.

Percy stamped his foot like a child. "You weren't supposed to see that until dessert!" he whined.

"Too bad, Seaweed Brain," Thalia told him.

All at once, the dining room fell silent as they processed how Annabeth was wearing the ring. Piper's mouth dropped open.

"I don't think we need to explain it," Annabeth said quietly.

"OH. MY. GODS!!! YES!" Piper cried out, "engaged! Yes! When's the wedding? Why didn't you tell us sooner! Oh my gods!"

Hazel joined in: " Let me see the ring! Oh! It's beautiful! How did he propose? When did he propose?"

"Friday, Percy proposed three days ago!" Annabeth said, as soon as she could get a word in. "He took me to the beach at midnight, and made the water spell out the words in Ancient Greek."

I hope that Jason does something like that for me, Piper thought, before forcing herself back into the moment.

Calypso and Reyna showered their congrats upon Annabeth and she was

overcome with the tears that were falling down her face.

"Engaged. Annabeth. Percy. Propose. Wedding. What?" Thalia whispered to herself ,"wow".

"Wow, Jackson." Jason finally said, grinning and pushing the guys away from the squealing girls, "Congrats."

"Thanks?"

"No way. You're kidding me, right?" Frank stammered. "You have to be kidding." He said something in Chinese, probably along the lines of Oh my gods!

He turned into a goldfish,something he was prone to do when he was surprised or flustered, and back.

"Ahh... I knew it! Good job Perce. Now we need to propose. Congrats, we're doomed!" Leo laughed, his fingers fidgeting.

"Yeah," complained Jason, "How are we supposed to one-up that?"

Percy ignored that last part. "You guys weren't supposed to figure it out yet! Maybe before dessert, but Nico's not here yet!"

Piper heard this at the back of her head. Her attention was focused on Annabeth, who was explaining the details of the wedding. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Reyna and Thalia hanging back. Thalia was smiling and listening, but Reyna seemed sad.

Piper remembered what her mother had told the Preator all those years ago. About never finding love. Good job, Mother, Piper thought. You just ruined her life.

Percy had to yell to be heard. " I'm hungry! Can we continue talking about this while we eat!?"

Annabeth laughed and pecked him on the cheek. "Whatever you want, Seaweed Brain."

Percy pulled his fiancée's chair out. As soon as she sat down, grey smoke filled the room.

What? Piper thought.

"Are you doing this, Leo?" Hazel asked, a frown in her tone.

"No," Leo admitted, puzzled. "But it's probably nothing bad."

A shriek filled the room. It was Annabeth. "Percy!" she screamed. On the floor, was a passed-out Percy.

Thalia knelt down beside the son of Poseidon. "He's breath-" she started to say, before falling down next to him. A second later, Leo, Jason, and Reyna crumpled to the floor.

"Jason! Reyna! Leo!" Piper cried. Annabeth collapsed next to Percy.

"Piper!" Frank yelled. "Get out of here!" Piper looked up to see him leading Hazel and Calypso out of the room. But the three of them toppled, and Piper had the craziest thought of dominoes. Dominoes.

Of all things, thought Piper, before everything went black.

++++