Chapter 14: News

I sat on the couch in the family room thinking about what happened at the pharmacy. You're over exaggerating. How can this one time be the actual time your pregnant. Well, theres one way, and he did it last night. Kat came in and sat next to me.

"What's wrong?" She asked me.

"Nothing." I answered.

"Well, I can tell there is something on your mind. What is it?"

"Nothing." I got up and walked to the bathroom.

I closed and locked the door. Thinking of having a baby made me feel sick. I put my hands on the sink and looked at my sweaty, worried face in the mirror. I felt like I was going to throw up. I looked at the toilet and saw water. What? Water? I turned on the sink and water came out.

I walked out of the bathroom and knocked on Ethan's door. "Ethan? Ethan?"

He opened the door and sat back on his bed. I walked inside and closed the door. Ethan grabbed some chips and ate them while he started at me. "Yes?"

"Where does your water come from?"

"From the fresh water lake some miles down that way." He pointed.

"Why didn't you tell us about this?"

"Wanted to see how long it took for you guys to check the bathroom."

"What? Never mind. To you have a water heater."

"Yes"

"Does it work?"

"Not with out starting up a generator."

"Where can we get one?"

"Next to the water heater."

"Ok,where's the water heater?"

"Behind the house."

"Thanks it took you long enough."

Ethan nodded and took a drink of wine. I walked out of his room and passed Kat in the family room. I headed towards the front door.

"Where you going?" She asked standing up.

"Long story short. We have water and I'm going to heat it up to take a shower." I told her.

She looked at me surprised and followed me behind the house. I saw the water heater and the generator. I studied it and pressed a green button. It started up.

"Now you have to pull the lever a couple times until it gets louder." Kat told me.

"How do you know this?" I asked as I grabbed the lever.

"My sister showed me a long time ago."

I nodded and pulled the lever until it started to hum loud. Soon it hummed quieter,so it was safe to keep on. I walked back around to the house as the boys ran out.

"What was that?" Josh asked.

I explained the water thing and told them that I was going to take a shower. I walked inside the house and back into the bathroom. I looked inside the shower to see left over soap, conditioner, and shampoo. I looked in the cabinet to see more.

I turned on the water and waited for it to warm up. I took off my clothes and got in. I was so happy to finally feel water on my body again. I washed off my face and body. I rinsed out my hair seeing muddy water go down the drain. I washed my hair, rinsed it, then just stood there in the warmth.

I heard the door open. "Jesse?"

"Yeah?" He answered.

"Just making sure."