Chapter 16: Days Later

*******twenty days later*******

It's been at least three weeks and everything has been fine. I've been on a few runs gathering necessities. I've been helping people out making .sure they are hundred percent safe. We've had two herds pass every week so far, but everything's ok.

I still thought about that roof. Every night I hear the roof creaking. In a well built hospital,that's not good. Me and Kat usually go up to check to see how bad it is getting. It gets worse every week.

I was sitting on the bed reading some book about aliens. It was really bad but I was really bored. Some one knocked on my door then came in. It was Kat.

"Hey,want to go check out that roof?" She asked.

"Yeah let's go." I said putting the book down.

We walked to the stair case and up the stairs. We walked all the way up to the very top where it was rotting. The floor right below the door to the roof had started to rot. The ceiling was dark and moldy. We carefully walked up to the last floor. Kat touched the floor and pushes it and it bent.

"That's not good. It's soft and moldy. And it's reached the floor below it." Kat said as he started to walk down stairs.

I followed her and heard a loud leaning noise. We looked up and saw the ceiling caving in. It didn't break but it was falling in.

"Uh...we should tell someone before-"

"Yeah." Kat said as we hurried down stairs.

When we reached the very bottom to the main room of the hospital. We walked over to the lady at the desk.

"Hi girls, what do you need?" She asked.

"Uh, is there anyone specific we are supposed to talk to about...the building like,fixing it?" Kat asked.

"Umm...I don't really think there is, why what's the problem." The lady asked.

"Well the roof is starting to cave in. It's rotten and old and molding and it's leaning in." I explained.

"Oh dear! I'm i don't really know what to do about this I'm going to have to send you to the boss' room." The lady told us.

"Boss?" Kat looked at me weird.

"Yes, the person who cleared this place out and took us in." She told us.

I nodded as she told is what room to go to. We went to the stairs and walked up to the fifth floor. It was the floor were most of the guards and "important" people sleep. We went to room number 17 and knocked on the door.

A man opened the door and looked at us. "Have an appointment?" He asked.

"Appointment?" Kat said confused.

"Yeah,did they desk lady send you?" He asked.

"Yes." I said.

"Come in." He said as he stepped aside to let us through.

We sat in the chairs and explained the ceiling problem. He told us that it's nothing and it will all be ok. Me and Kat tried out best to convince him that it was dangerous but he insisted that everything would be fine. After minutes of trying to prove our case he practically pushed us out the door.

"Well, then." I said walked down the stairs.

"What do we do now?" Kat asked.

"There's nothing to do but leave." I said as we walked down the third floor hallway.

"We can't leave. You have the baby."

"Yeah but what if before the baby is born the walls cave in?"

Kat stayed silent as we stood by my door. Jesse opened it and wrapped his arms around me. "Hey Kat." He said.

"Hi Jesse." She smiled.

"I'll talk to you later ok?" I told her.

She nodded and started to walk away. "Wait!" Jesse said.

"Yes?" She said as she turned around.

"Where's Josh?" He asked.

"He went on a run with some guys." She answered. "He should be back later today."

Jesse nodded and walked me into the room. He sat on the bed as I laid down. "Did you see the doctor?"

"Not yet.." I said.

"Well, go ok. I'll be here." Jesse said.

"Ok.." I sat up and Jesse touched my stomach.

"Your getting fat." He told me.

I laughed and got up. "Yeah I am."

I walked out of the room and down the hallway. I went to the second floor where all the nurses, doctors, and patients slept. I went down to room 20 and saw the doctor.

"Hi." I said.

"Hello, I'm doctor May, and you must be Vivian." She said.

"Yeah."

"Well come in, lay down."

I went in and sat on the bed. I laid down and looked around. This was so far the one room that looked like an actual hospital room. The others were 'fancier' I guess.

"So...why did you decide to keep it." She said as she checked my stomach.

"I don't know."

"They never do."

"They?"

"Yeah, there are two other girls here that had babies. They didn't know why they kept them either,they still don't."

"Oh.."

After a few minutes she was done. "I'll be right back." She told me.

I sat up and waited for the doctors return. Lots of nurses and other people walk by making me feel like I was in a real hospital. I was but it didn't feel like there were zombies all around the world. The doctor came back smiling.

"Yeah?"

"It's girl. Good luck."

I nodded and left. I felt sick again, not because of it being a girl but because I was actually going though with this. I went back up to out floor and into my room. Jesse was sleeping in the bed peacefully.

I sat next to him and he instantly woke up. "Hey." He said stretching.

"Hi."

"So what did they say?"

"Chrystal Hill"

"Ah." Jesse sat up and kissed my cheek.

Kat ran in and hugged me unexpected. She was crying hard and couldn't talk. "Kat? Kat? Kaitlin calm down breath. What's going on?"

She let go and tried to breath and speak calmly. "They...th-they...oh gosh."

"It's ok...what is it?" I asked her.

"The group josh was in. They didn't come back! They sent some people to search for them and they weren't in town. They are gone! They can't find him. Josh is gone!" Kat explained as she cried harder.

I looked at Jesse and hugged Kat again. Jesse went up and closed the door so they people would stop looking. I thought of Josh being safe somewhere, having his reasons why he was gone. None of them really made since though. Kat just kept crying non stop but she eventually cried herself to sleep. Jesse picked her up and took her to her room. How could they just disappear like that?