Chapter 8: I Know, I Suck

Carli's POV
The game started back up not long after, but I couldn't help but keep an eye on Sylvia. She seemed to be normal, but I couldn't be sure with her because she would play off having a knife lodged in her throat. I do my best to focus on the ball now, two Chinese midfielders continuing to pass the ball, switching field positions. Just as I was about to go for an interception, the ball parried off the midfielder's foot directly for the goal. Ash was there of course, but as she dove and smacked the ball away, the Chinese striker's cleat collided with Harris' left hand, resulting in a small yelp. My eyes widen slightly as she hit the ground, the ball connecting to Julie's feet who kicked it out of bounds, for the sake of our keeper. I glance at Tobin whom approaches beside me, both of us observing as Kelley and Becky kneel down to her, attempting to speak to her while the medical team makes their way out. Sylvia approached behind me as well, and as I glanced at her, I realized she wasn't even looking at Ash- her eyes were glued on Jill. As I glance at Jill, I see her approaching field. "Uh oh." I thought, glancing back at Ashlyn whom was obviously in pain. "Looks like she sprained her wrist, she won't be able to continue like this." The man said, slowly standing up as they pulled Ashlyn off the ground. Jill turned to me, and I nodded slightly. "We need to rearrange." She said, and the team walked around, forming a huddle. "Okay, so we could have Alyssa fill-" "Brian I want you to fill in upper center back. Morgan go further left, Press to the right. Silver, you're in goal. I'm gonna put in Sonnett in to fill in the gap." I didn't even have a chance to finish, it's almost as if Jill had been planning this. I turn to look at Silver, her eyes widened at her words. I offer her a supportive smile as I rest my hand on her shoulder. One of her hands reach for Morgan's whom was standing behind us, the other hand reaching for Tobin's. "You'll do great." I whispered to her, yet I could tell she was nervous. We broke huddle and we're walking back to our positions, and I watch as Jill guides her to the sidelines for her to change uniforms.

Sylvia's POV
My breathing is jagged, my hands trembling, my mind everywhere. "Get her goalie uniform." Jill ordered one of the members, and the man quickly reached for a gym bag and pulled out a long sleeve silver goalie shirt, with my number 7 and last name Jade on it. I changed jerseys quickly and gratefully took the silver and black goal keeper gloves, also with my last name printed on the Velcro. I took a deep breath as Emily approached. "You ready girl?" She asked, offering a hand. I simply smirk, remembering the handshake we had at one point in time made. The front of our hands hit, then the backs, then we do a little slide of the palm into a dab. We both sort of laugh, then jog out. I stretch a bit, shaking out all the nervousness in my mind, and set my mind on the game. My role. Who I am. And my promise to Hope. I then glance to the nearest camera which happens to be panned on me, and I hold up my right hand, index finger. "SOLO" I yell. And the crowd cheers before chanting her last name. My smile grows as the whistle blows, and the game resumes. I keep my eyes locked in on the ball in play, and watch it be kicked around among my teammates. Carli found a good opening to run right side, and I watch as Morgan, Tobin and Christen make themselves open for a possible cross. She takes the shot in, the ball curves beautifully in front of Morgan, whom dives and connects her head perfectly over the keeper, creating a hat trick. She slides against the turf, but stands up and throws her hands into the air, my team cheering and hugging. I smile, clapping a bit before realizing I was missing celebration. I sigh softly, before stretching again. The ball is for the Chinese team, which means it's my turn. I lower myself a bit, propping each of my elbows against my kneecaps. I begin a small prep talk within my mind. "You trained for this. This is your new position. You CAN do this, you WILL do this, you HAVE to do this. It's not just for you anymore. It's for your team. Show them they can rely on you like they relied on Hope." Just as I finish speaking to myself, I begin to shuffle to the left, keeping my body in the direction of the ball. A midfielder takes their shot, the ball flying for the complete opposite direction from where I was. I let out a "Huah!" from my chest as I kick myself from the ground, diving for the ball. I connect my gloves to it, hugging it to my chest as told, before hitting the ground on the complete opposite side of the goal from where I was originally. I open my eyes, realizing I had just made my first international save. My eyes widen as my team runs at me, sliding into the turf to hug me. We all scream, as I'm picked up and hugged. Carli is the one to wrap her arms around my neck, speaking into my ear. "I told you, you could do it." She told me, making me smile. She rests her hand on my head before sprinting back to positions. I glance around before gently kicking the ball to Becky whom kicked it onward. I take the moment to catch my breath, shaking off my nervousness and allowing my confidence to rise. 

The game continued on, and I didn't really feel the pressure much anymore, except in the last 3 minutes. We were still ahead, but I had the fact that we hadn't been scored on in the past 3 games, and I wanted to keep it up. The ball was intercepted from Carli, the Chinese striker sprinting after me. She took the shot from about the penalty line, so it was fairly easy to jump and punch it. I aimed for Julie, but just as she parried it, another striker came in. She headed the ball, so I decided to sprint and leap for it. My eyes were on the ball, I didn't see the Chinese midfielder coming in to finish off the play. I caught the ball, but in the same instant, I took an extremely hard blow to the head. One moment I was diving through the air. The next? It was lights out.