C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n

After Anna and I finish crying together, I tell her to put Jake back on. By now, the local newscaster is back on and all my friends and family are off screen.

"You guys need to get your asses down to our house so I can hug you guys."

"Send me the address and we'll be over."

"Love you. Bye." I hang up and quickly text him the address.

"So much for doing our wedding plans tonight." Scott chuckles in my ear.

"I'm sorry. I invited them without even asking you. Is it okay?"

"Of course. I get that you want to see them. Especially Anna."

"I haven't seen her in so many years. Not in person, anyway. Maybe after they leave we can do the plans?" He chuckles, knowing that our unplanned gathering will probably last late into the night.

"We'll see what happens."

"Thank you. Sorry."

"For what?" He kisses me, distracting me from answering. "If you want, I can let you make it up to me." He smirks, flipping me so I am flat on my back. He leans over me, straddling my waist and kissing me again. I reach up to cup his face as he leans back up. The light shining around him from the ceiling makes him appear as a silhouette and nothing more.

"You look like an angel."

"I'm your angel, if that's what you want."

"I just want you to be my Scott. Can we agree on that?" He moves to sit next to me and I sit up so we are at eye level again.

"Let's shake on it. For as long as I'm alive, I'll be your Scott and you can be my Mitch. Deal?" He holds out his hand and I giggle, doing the same.

"Deal." We shake on it, and he says, "Well, the fireplace is still lit. We should probably go make sure nothing bad happens with it."

"Yeah probably." He hops off the bed and starts out of the room. "Wait." He turns around, leaning against the door frame a little. "I'm scared to see Anna." I get off the bed slowly, crossing my arms to keep from shaking.

"Come here." He hugs me tightly, tucking his face into the curve between my neck and my shoulder, giving me a sense of reassurance. "It'll all work out."

"I know. It always does. Come on, let's go keep an eye on the fire."