Chapter 5

“Talk to him, Erica.”

“No, why do I have to talk to him?”

“Because. Bobby won’t and I don’t know what to say.”

“So you make me have the super awkward conversation?”

“You’re the master of awkward conversations.”

* * * * * *

Erica found him skating in front of the house. She dove right into it. “We’re worried. Well, Bridget is worried and I guess I am too. Bobby's just Bobby. He’s probably worried but you can never tell with him.”

Carter stopped, caught off guard. “Worried about what?”

“You went from being practically a hermit to getting drunk and banging a new chick every night. It’s just a little sudden. And we wanted you to know that we’re here. If you need to talk.”

Carter sat on the ground, patting the space next to him. Erica leaned her head on his shoulder.

“I’m just letting loose. Maybe I went a little overboard. But really, I’m okay. Just trying to get back to...me.” Carter slung an arm around her and squeezed. “Thanks. For everything. For letting me live here and junk.”

Erica laughed. “Well, let’s not get too emotional, babe.”

Carter pushed her away. “Go get my other board. I’ll teach you something cool.”

He sighed as he watched Erica head into the house. He was getting pretty good at lying. Maybe if he kept saying it, it’d eventually become the truth.

* * * * * *

One night, Bobby and Bridget bowed out early, catcalls following them as they disappeared into their room.

Carter and Erica sprawled on the couch, Erica providing a running commentary on whatever flashed on the TV.

Carter downed his glass of wine and poured another, relishing the warmth that bubbled from within. Between the two, they had polished off one bottle and finished off most of a second. Carter had a sneaking suspicion though that it had mostly been him. His brain was a little too fuzzy, his movements a little too heavy. And Erica was buzzed, but didn’t seem to be on his level.

He caught himself staring at Erica more than once, but the wine dulled the part of his brain that was responsible for warning against bad ideas.

Erica finally caught him and smirked, raising an eyebrow. “How’s the view?”

Carter grinned, and ducked his head. “It’s alright, I guess.”

Erica giggled and shoved him, which quickly turned into a wrestling match. After a few minutes, they called a truce and collapsed on the floor to catch their breath.

Carter turned his head. Erica’s eyes were closed. He was mesmerized by the gentle rise and fall of her chest, the small freckles that dusted her face, cheeks tinged pink from their scuffle. Carter wondered what her skin would feel like under his lips.

Before Carter could stop himself, he leaned over and their lips met in a soft kiss. Erica’s eyes flew open in surprise, but she didn’t jerk back like Carter expected. Carter suspected that she was frozen with shock, so he broke the kiss and started to pull away. After a moment of hesitation, Erica crooked a hand around Carter’s neck, keeping him close, and connected their lips again.

Carter pulled Erica on top of him and deepened the kiss. His hands wandered to Erica’s sides, running up and down her ribs. His heart thudded hard in his chest.