Chapter 3

Authors Note: This chapter is a lot longer than usual but I had a really fun time writing it and I just couldn't stop. I hope you enjoy! :) Tell me what ya think?

* * * * * *

Aly was nervous. The entire way to the airport, she replayed her friend, Kailey's lecture in her head. It’s not fair to him. It’s not fair to you. Don’t lead him on.

It wasn’t fair. Nothing about this was fair.

Aly knew it would be impossible for them to exist in this weird state of limbo for long. There was too much attraction, too much history, too much tension.

* * * * * *

Aly was head over heels smitten from the first moment they met. She became close with the rest the team. They were like her brothers. Then she met Carter. He was different and she was instantly attracted to him. But she was still new with US Soccer, not even a coach yet, just an intern. Plus, she had seen how Carter acted around others. She had heard some of the stories. What made her so different? Was she any different? She was scared of being shot down, of getting hurt. So she settled. It was safer that way.

But then Aly started to notice how Carter would stare when she thought she wasn’t looking. How Carter would answer her phone calls on the first ring. How texts would get a response within minutes. How Carter’s breath would hitch whenever Aly touched him.  She wanted to stay on the safe side of the line, but that grew harder every day. The endless debate raged in her head: play it safe or risk losing it all?

Aly started to find excuses to be close to him.

Aly finally found her courage, and that first kiss was a defining moment in her life. Aly would always remember that feeling, moments before she finally leaned in and the endless seconds after. She had been terrified, anxious, panicky. Like she was about to throw herself off the precipice, plunge into the black depths of an ocean drop-off.

That feeling paled in comparison to how she felt now, waiting for that same boy to walk through those doors.

* * * * * *

Aly rose to greet him, nerves shaking her to her core.

Carter smiled. “Hey.”

“Hi,” Aly mumbled. “I missed you.”

Carter nodded sadly. “Do we hug? Or would that be weird?”

Aly paused. They had hugged a couple times at camp, what harm could it do?

And then the quick embrace lasted a few moments too long, turning into something more, something that sent sparks racing through their bodies and left their skin burning where they touched. They pulled apart, not daring to look at each other until their heartbeats slowed.

“Let’s go,” Aly said huskily.

Kailey's voice popped into her head.

Shit.

* * * * * *

The entire ride they bumped against each other, finding excuses to accidentally touch, to feel the intoxicating shock that accompanied each brush of skin.

They stumbled into Aly’s apartment. They could barely walk straight, the sexual tension was thick enough to make basic functions fairly difficult.

As soon as the door closed, Carter had Aly against a wall - hands pressed on either side of her head, foreheads a breath apart.

“Are you sure?” Carter asked, his voice sending fiery chills down Aly’s spine. “If you don’t want this to happen, we gotta shut it down now. Say the word, I’ll walk away, we won’t mention this again.”