Prologue //An Omen From The Stars//

WHISPERWIND SAT BESIDE THE RIVER and groomed her sleek pelt, stopping every now and then to spit out sand she had accidentally licked up from the bank she was laying on.

She paused and parted her jaws, scenting for any wild catmint, even though it was extremely rare, and she usually had to swim for a day to the two-leg den.

She sighed and went back to grooming, being unsuccessful in her task. What did you expect, fish-brain? She thought, flicking her ear.

Isn't wasn't until a few dying-heartbeats later that she noticed she was starting to get hungry. She didn't feel like trekking up sharp stones to the top of the ravine, just to get to camp and grab a small carp.

Whisperwind stood up and looked into the water, careful not to let her shadow disturb the sparkling fish that swam below, waiting to be caught by her claws. She waited for the right moment, then stuck her paw into the water, spattering tiny drops onto her black-and-white pelt. She flung the fish into the sky, letting fall onto the ravine, the killed it with a swift bite to the neck.

She took a bite of the silver fish. It tasted horrible, and she quickly spat it out. She closed her eyes and silently prayed. Oh great StarClan, please don't let there be maggots! She let out a relieved sigh as she opened her eyes to a clean fish.

She smelled the fish. It smelt familiar, at once she knew all five of the scents. Smallwave, Shrillfern, Silentleaf, Logfur. The last scent seemed the most familiar. Fallensky?