CHAPTER 14

“Kuya, where are we going?” my little sister asked.

Isabella, Ara and I are on a road trip. We’ve been travelling for more than an hour now. Good thing we weren’t held slow by the traffic.

I want to give Ara the space that I think she needs. You can talk to her properly but she seemed lost and disoriented. For sure, inside her head is a mess. so I am taking the initiative.

“Somewhere cold, you like?” I lulled.

“Tagaytay na naman tayo?” Ara asked beside me.

“No somewhere farther,” I answered.

“Baguio?” Ara followed up. “Thomas, wala tayong gamit. Panu yung kapatid mo?”

“Okay lang yan,” I answered and took a quick glance at Ara then back to the road. “Don’t worry tatawagan ko si Mommy. I’ll tell her Isabella’s with me.”

“I can call Mom, Kuya,” Isabella said from the back.

“You know how?” I asked.

“Of course,” my sister answered. Kids, nowadays. If my generation is extremely advanced, my sister’s is on super speed.

“Here,” I fished out my phone but Ara snatched it away from them.

“Eyes on the road, mister. Ako na,” Ara said and looked over my sister. “Pretty, you know what to do?”

“Yes,” I heard Isabella nodded. Ara handed my sister my phone. Few moments later, we heard the little girl talk. “Mommy, I’m with Kuya Thomas… Yes… Kuya said we’re on a fun road trip…”

“Tell her not to worry. We’ll call her when we get to where we are going,” I instructed and Isabella relayed to Mom.

“Kuya Thomas, me and Ate Ara…” my sister said after telling Mom what I told her. “Nooo. This is a different Ate Ara. Kuya said this one is a princess.”

Ara and I looked at each other when we heard what Isabella said. We shared a small smile at that. Cute ng kapatid ko, nakakadagdag pogi points pa.

“Mommy! I said she is different!” Isabella whined. “Kuya Mommy wants to talk to you.”

“Do you know how to put it on speakers?” I asked the little one.

“Here, I’ll help you,” Ara rescued and reached for the phone from the back. She then signaled me that we’re on speakers.

“Mom, you’re on speakers,” I said loudly.

“Thomas! Where are you going? And who’s with you?” my Mom asked from the other line.

“Mom, we’re going to Baguio. And wait, don’t panic. Isabella and I are good. I’ll take care of her, so don’t worry. We’ll be back tomorrow,” I said.

“Thomas, what is it this time? Bakit aalis ka naman ng biglaan? At may kasama ka na namang Ara?” my Mom ranted.

“Mom! You’re on speakers! May kasama kami ni Isabella,” I said forcefully.

“Your sister said you’re with Arra. Thomas, I tho–,”

“Not the one that you know, Mom. It’s nothing that you should be worried about,” I said. Mommy talaga oh.

“But Isabella said… Thomas, I don’t like you hanging out with that girl again,” Mom reminded.

Sometimes, my Mom could be as thick-head as her children. And seriously, I told her she’s on speakers, didn’t I? Nakakahiya kay Ara.

“This Ara is not her, Mom. And please, can we not talk about that now?” I whined. “This is a different Ara.”

“Ara who?” my Mom couldn’t help but pry.

“Galang, the volleyball player,” I said and shot Ara an apologetic look. She just smiled at me in return.

“Oh,” my Mom sounded she was cleared. “Wait, yung idol ni Katrina?”

“Mommy! I said you’re on speakers,” I reminded again.

“Hello po, Tita,” Ara eventually butted in.

“Oh hi hija,” was all that my Mom said.

“I’ll make sure Thomas and Isabella will be home tomorrow, Tita” Ara calmly and confidently told my prodding mother.

“Thank you, Ara,” my Mom said. “Can I ask why you three are suddenly on a trip?”

“Mommy, I’ll call you when we get there,” I butted in. “Don’t worry, everything’s fine. I’ll make sure Isabella is fine.”

“Alright, alright,” my Mom said. “Please update me of your whereabouts.”

“Yes, Mom,” I answered so this will all finally be over.

“And take care of your sister and Ara,” she reminded.

“Of course, Mom,” I answered. “I’ll call you later, Love you.”

“Love you, anak,” Mom said.

“Love you, Mommy!” Isabella shouted from where she is.

I waved my hand through my neck as if slitting my throat signaling Ara to cut off the call. She followed and we heard the line went off.

“Sorry about that,” I told Ara.

“Don’t worry, I understand that’s what mothers do,” she said. “Uhh, does she know about Arra.”

“Of course she knows Arra but she didn’t know what exactly happened in the States. My Mom was against the whole idea of me leaving, in the first place. She obviously doesn’t want me to go again,” I told Ara.

“Mothers,” Ara said as the explanation.

“Uh-haaaa,” I agreed. 

“Kuya, I want to pee,” Isabella called from the back.

“What?” I took a quick glance of her through the rearview mirror. “Baby, can you hold it for a moment?”

“Thomas! Magkakasakit yang kapatid mo,” Ara reprimanded.

“Where do you propose will she pee?” I told Ara.

“Ipara mo, makikisuyo na lang kami sa mga bahay,” she suggested.

I did what I was told and pulled up. Ara helped my sister out of the car and ran to the nearest house. I followed them to make sure the two will be okay.

I smiled while watching them run with hands lock. Ara looked good as a sister to my sister. I mean Isabella has Mariella and Katrina as big sisters but those two are not mature enough to like be the BIG sisters for the little one. You know what I mean. And I’m sure Ara can be exactly that to my sisters. It makes me want to make that happen.

They reached a house and an old lady let them in. I just waited outside.

Few moments later, Ara and Isabella went out with smiles. I saw them thank the old Lady.

“You okay?” I asked my sister.

She nodded with a smile, “I’m okay.”

“Okay, let’s go,” I said.

“Kuya, I want to sleep,” Isabella said when we reached the car.

“Your Kuya Enrico left his neck pillow there, you can use it,” I said as I open the door for her.

“I can stay with you if you like, pretty,” Ara lulled. My sister nodded with glee.

“Okay lang ba?” I checked Ara.

“Oo naman, okay ka lang ba na mag-isa sa harap?” she asked.

“Of course,” I said.

And in a few, we were back on the road again. I’m still driving while the girls are at the back. Isabella is lying on the length of the seat at the back. Her head is rested on Ara’s lap. Ara looks adorable to be my sister’s sister-in-law.

“Sorry, this trip is supposed to be for you but you got caught up in my little family drama,” I said to break the silence.

The little girl seemed to be silent for too long. I think that one is asleep.

“Okay lang, ano ka ba?” Ara replied. “You guys took my head off some things.”

“At least we did you some good,” I said.

And then another silence... I took another glance of Ara from the mirror. Her eyes are through the window. She looks like she’s in a deep pit of confusion.

“We can talk about it,” I said.

“I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to tell you things,” she said.

“Why not?” I rebutted.

“Because…” she trailed.

“Because I’m part of it?” I urged. Ara stayed silent and I know I’m right. Fine, if I she won’t say a thing. I will make her. “He proposed to you and you said no.”

“How did you know that?”

“Remember I have a big-mouth monster for a cousin?” I told her.

“That is correct,” she realized.

“Why did you say no?” I asked directly. “Is it because of me?”

Ara chuckled sweetly. Beautiful music to my ears. “Did I tell you that you are too confident for your own good?”

“Nope, you told me I’m to pogi for my own good,” I joked. “Really? Why?”

“I don’t deserve him,” she said shortly.

“Yeah, I agree,” I said quickly.

“What?” Ara asked.

“You don’t deserve him,” I repeated.

“Thank you ha,” Ara sarcastically retorted.

“So… akin ka na lang,” I said. “A bad person like you deserves a bad person like me.”

“Good one. Magaling ang galawang Torres ah,” she commented.

“Thank you for the compliment,” I said.

I saw her smile again. For the gforsaken nth time, beautiful beautiful Ara.

“If you have the tiniest of the tiniest doubt about it, I believe you made the right decision. Not that it’s for my advantage but marriage is something that someone should be totally sure of,” I told her my thoughts.

“Kaso nasaktan ko ang mahal ko,” she said with her very sad voice.

“Sakit ha,” I joked. “Huwag mo na kasing mahalin.”

“Thomas naman eh,” Ara said.

“Okay, hindi na,” I resigned. “Think about it first. You’re the only one who knows what you truly want. Then when you have tamed your inner demons, you should talk to him. If he truly loves you, he’ll understand.”

“Why do all of these have to happen all together?” Ara sighed. “Hindi naman ganun kadrama tong buhay ko ah. Bakit ngayon ganito?”

“Ganda mo kasi,” I smiled and glanced at her through the rear.

“Ewan ko sayo,” Ara said.

I heaved out a very deep sigh.

“Lalim nun ah,” she commented.

I smiled randomly, “For the record, I’m serious about my offer.”

“Anong offer?” she asked.

“Akin ka na lang,” I said seriously.

“Thomas,” Ara called.

“Don’t worry Ara, I will let you decide of course,” I said. Then there was another silence… “Ara?”

“Hmm?”

I took a deep breath, “I don’t know how to put into words what I feel… but I know, I just know that in the future… There will be you and me… There is a very strong force inside me that wants to fight for you. I know this is not helping but I just want you to know.”

Another silence…

“True,” she said. I looked at her through the mirror and she was looking at me too. She has her sweet smile. “Not helping.”

I smiled back at her and gave her a naughty wink.
***
.
.
.
“Where’s your Ate Ara?” I asked Isabella who was bundled in layers of clothes and blanket.

The three of us checked in one of the hotels here in Baguio. Just so you, know, it’s freezing. I took the girls to shopping earlier for some clothes and necessities.

“She’s in the balcony,” Isabella pointed through the sliding door.

“Stay there,” I told my sister who is apparently enjoying herself with the room service and some princess cartoons. She just gave me a thumb up.

I searched for Ara and found her in the balcony leaning on the railing with her phone on her ears.

“I am okay… Somewhere… Please, don’t say that… It’s my fault… Nooo… Don’t be like that… It was me… Liam, please…,” Ara was evidently in distress.

Until she slumped herself to floor, that’s when I know she was crying. Her shoulders were shaking. She crossed her arms over her knees and hid her head there.

“Liam…” Ara called with sobs. That’s when I knew she wasn’t done with her call. “Sorry…”

I saw her end the call and hid her face.

I walked to where she is and moved down to level with her. Slowly I draped my arms over her shoulders. She snapped her head up. Her eyes are all read and tears all over her face.

I tried to reach for her face but she moved away.

“Not now, Thomas, not now,” she said and ran away.

I got to my feet and followed her. I went back inside and found Isabella still on the bed.

“What did you do to the princess, Kuya?” she accused. “Why is Ate Ara crying?”

“Can you stay here on your own? Please just watch your cartoons, you can call the room service when you’re hungry again,” I instructed.

“Yes, stop standing there Kuya,” Isabella reprimanded. “The princess might get lost again.”

“Be a good girl,” I said and my sister nodded.

I ran to find Ara.

I have been all over the place to find a crying princess. That girl hides very well. Hmm? Where can I find her? Somewhere obvious but not really.

True enough. I found her at the hotel entrance. She was scooted under a tree in one corner of the hotel entrance.

I wanted to run to where she is right at this moment but I remembered her last line to me. Not now.

I will respect that. I think I might just find a place where I can watch over her. As if the universe agrees with me, I found a bench at the end of the 5-step stairs in front of the entrance. It’s a perfect spot where I can see Ara and make sure that no harm comes to her.

I sit here and watch the girl, who has my full attention, cry herself dry. Her sobs were so deep that even from where I am I can see her struggle for her breathing. I wanted to hurry to where she is and hid her in my arms away from all the hurt that she’s feeling.

Looking at her like that makes me want to punch someone.

Paano mo titignan ang babaeng nakahuli ng puso mo na umiyak para sa iba?

Why is the world so cruel? To me… To Ara… Even to Liam…

I don’t know how long Ara and I stayed where we are. All I know is that I really want to punch the civilian guard at the door like he’s the one who hurt Ara.

Moments later, I saw Ara wiped away her tears. This time, for good. She ran her fingers through her hair and fixed her blouse. She stood from where she was seated and tapped off the dust on her pants.

She walked to my direction but her head is focused on the ground. Then like the flash she was seated beside me.

“Mr. Creepy, tapos na po drama ko. Pwede ka na pong gumalaw diyan,” Ara joked and nudged me.

“Gwapo ng stalker mo no?” I joked back.

She smiled, her eyes are red and her nose is fluffy, but the smile was sincere. “Medyo,” she answered. “Sorry, you are dragged to my drama yet again.”

“I don’t understand why you are worried about me. I mean, I’m with you,” I said and she replied with a smile.

“You’re a good guy Thomas,” Ara said.

“But I’d rather be bad if that is what bagay to you,” I said and winked at her.

“Galing ka nga sa conyo nation,” she commented.

I smiled. “Can I hug you now?” I blurted out.

She gave me a sheepish look, “Please.”

I didn’t waste any second and grabbed her to me. I tried to hold her as tight as I could. If I could just own this woman all to me, I will.
***
.
.
.
.
.
Author’s Note:

Sorry po sa sobrang tagal na update. My work is piled up like they pay for my time. Whatever, I hope this will suffice. I will try my best to update faster but I really can’t promise.

And I am needing suggestions or ideas for the next chapters. What else do you guys want to happen? I kind of want to involve you guys in this, if you just want to participate. To those, who doesn’t please ignore this.

Comment and Vote.