CHAPTER 33

“Thomas, you can go home and rest. Your Mom and I can take care of everything here,” Dad told me.

My parents, Kuya Axel, Arra and I are all here in front of the pediatric ICU for Amirra. She had a mild attack earlier and I had to rush back here. The doctors were able to stabilize Amirra though when I arrived. It was a very big sigh of relief.

“Yeah, you and Arra could use some sleep,” Kuya added.

“I’m okay. I’ll stay here with Amirra,” Arra presented.

“Hija, it’s alright. You looked like you really need the sleep,” Mom told Arra. “We won’t leave her.”

Arra smiled timidly to my mother.

“Did you call your parents?” Dad asked Arra.

The latter nodded, “They’re on their way here na po.”

“Yun naman pala. Sige na, you kids get some rest,” Mom said.

Eventually my parents were able to convince us to go. I will bring Arra to her unit then I’ll be off to sleep.

“Thank you, Thomas,” Arra said when we reached her building. We were still in my car.

“No worries, magpahinga ka na,” I told her.

“Ikaw din,” she said.

“Maybe later, I have to go check on Ara pa,” I said.

Arra turned to me, “Why? Something happened to her?”

“Yeah, she had an accident in the kitchen. She sliced her finger and needed stitches,” I said.

“Kanina?” she asked.

“No, last night,” I said.

“And she still went to Amirra?” Arra asked again and I nodded. She then gave me a thankful look, “Can you tell her thank you? I didn’t know. I should’ve insisted to let her rest last night.”

“I told her that but she was just too stubborn,” I said.

Arra smiled, “You two are really getting serious, aren’t you?”

“Way beyond that,” I just said.

“Honestly, I am happy you found her,” she said.

“Me too,” I said, remembering how beautiful Ara is.

“You should get going so you can rest sooner,” she said.

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“Don’t worry about Amirra. After checking on Ara, get some sleep. You haven’t had a decent one since last night. I’ll just take a nap then I’ll go back to the hospital,” she said. “I’ll call you if something significant happens.”

I nodded, “Thanks.”

Arra got off my car and I drove away.

On my way to Ara’s, I am starting to feel the fatigue, physically and mentally. Yesterday feels like eons ago like there had been a lot of thing has happened since last night.

Or I don’t know, maybe it’s just my state of mind. I’ve been moving through instincts. I didn’t even realize I have this in me, being calm and collected in situations like this. Maybe it’s the athlete in me. My brain works best under pressure. Though I know it will eventually cost my health. No matter how strong the mind is, the body has its limits. I have been back and forth, to and fro, and it’s taking a toll on me.

But I know I have to be stronger, physically and mentally, for Amirra and most especially for Ara.

Too much thinking sometimes can cost you your consciousness. My eyes are starting to get heavy and I am losing control of my arms. The lack of sleep is getting into me.

BEEP!!!

The loud screeching sound woke me back to wakefulness. Out of instincts, I stepped on the breaks and pulled up the break which forcefully propelled me forward.

Thank you Lord for seatbelts or else I would’ve been thrown out of my car through the windshield.

I almost hit another car. Luckily and fortunately, nothing happened to me or to my car or to the other car.

A lady rolled down her window from the other and gave me a middle finger.

“If you want to die, by all means do, but don’t take others down with you, asshole!” the lady shouted from her car and stepped on her gas immediately.

I was left dumfounded. I rest back to my seat and took a very deep breath. I looked around and oriented myself. Good thing, I’m in an area where there are less vehicles moving around.

I put hands on my face and took a deep breath.

“Wake up, Thomas,” I told myself and forcefully hit my face.

I took another deep breath and repositioned myself in my seat. I turned the radio on full blast to fill my ears. Good thing some pop song is playing and the beat is up.

“Ara’s waiting for you, get your head on,” I told myself once more and slowly put doen the break handle.

I tried my best to keep myself awake on the rest of my trip. I just focused on my end goal – Ara.

By some luck, I was able to get to Ara’s building alive. I just hurriedly went up.

“Hey,” I greeted when Ara opened the door.

“Are you okay?” she worriedly asked but opened the door wider.

Ara ushered me in and let me take the couch. Then she left me. When she came back she is holding a glass of water.

“Thank you,” I said and took a sip from the glass.

“Did something happen to Amirra?” Ara asked and sat beside me.

I shook my head, “She’s fine, relatively. It was a minor complication. The doctors were prompt on it.”

“Okay, why do you look so winded?” Ara followed up.

“Wala, miss lang kita,” I told her with a smile.

She just gave me a look. “Would you like something to eat?” Ara asked.

“Coffee lang sana, okay lang ba?” I told Ara.

“Yes, but you should really eat something Thomas. Nakakain ka ba sa hospital kanina?”

“Hindi rin eh but I’m okay. Don’t worry, kailangan ko lang ng pampagising,” I said and touched her face.

“Why? Matulog ka na lang kaya,” Ara suggested.

“We have to go to the doctor to get you checked pa diba, mamaya na ko matutulog,” I said.

“Thomas, I am fine,” Ara reiterated.

“Ara, please, even if you say it a billion times that you’re okay but the fact that you needed stitches indicates that it’s something serious,” I said.

“OA ka rin kasi,” she mumbled.

“Please Ara, let’s just get it done,” I said. “I just want to make sure and hear it for myself.”

Ara gave me a very worried look.

I just smiled and moved closer to kiss her cheek, “Please baby. After your check up, I will sleep. I promise.”

Ara breathes out an exasperated sigh, “Fine, but you are compromising Torres. I am making a sandwich and you will eat.”

“Opo,” I said and pulled her waist to give her another kiss on the forehead. “Ikaw lang okay na ko eh.”

“Hay naku, pahinga ka muna. Gagawan muna kita ng makakain,” Ara ordered.

“Thank you,” I told her.

Ara did make me a chicken sandwich to go. After preparing my on the go meal Ara and I went on our way to the hospital. She insisted to drive but I didn’t budge. I got my way though.

We went to the hospital to get Ara’s hand checked. The surgeon on duty was accommodating despite of my prodding. He explained that’s Ara is fine and there nothing so worry about. The sutures used were absorbable and there no need to go back to remove it. Ara was then given prophylactic medications to take to prevent infections.

Somehow, I was able to breathe after the doctor cleared Ara.

Maybe it’s the situation I am now that I am always on my toes like I’m so ready to run whenever there’s an emergency.

“Sabi sayo okay na ko,” Ara proudly said on our way out of the hospital. “Lakas ko eh.”

I smiled and held her hand, “I just want to make sure.”

Ara playfully rolled her eyes at me, “Hay naku. You should stop worrying about me. I’m even more conditioned than you. Ako pa ba.”

“Hay naku din sayo. I don’t know when you will realize that I can’t stop myself from worrying about you,” I rebutted.

“Ugh, fine,” Ara said and stuck her tongue out at me. “Sa condo ka na muna. Papatulugin kita.”

I smiled, “What?”

“Ikaw lang ba ang pwede maging sigurista dito? Gusto ko lang siguraduhing magpapahinga ka. Kung papauwiin pa kita baka kung saan-saan ka na naman pupunta,” she said.

“Opo bossing!” I said like an obedient soldier.

“Oh dali na nang makapagpahinga ka na,” she said.
***
.
.
.
.
.
“Oh Thomas, andito ka!” Kim greeted me when I came in the gym.

Ara and I just arrived. I brought Ara here for practice.

“Hinahatid ko lang si Ara,” I told Kim.

“Aba magaling,” Mika noted. This one seems to be lukewarm to me but she talks to me nevertheless. “Nakalabas na ba baby mo sa hospital?”

I shook my head, “Hindi pa eh.”

“Tagal na niya dun ah,” Kim commented.

“Yeah, almost two weeks na,” I honestly said. “But at least we were able to transfer to a regular room na two nights ago.”

“Kaya pala mukhang zombie ka na,” Cienne said.

“Sinabihan na kasing wag na akong ihatid-sundo eh,” Ara butted.

“Oo nga naman Thomas,” Kim agreed. “Ipahinga mo na lang yang oras mo.”

“Marunong magdrive yang si Ara, baka hindi ka na-inform,” Mika said.

“At may sasakyan din yan,” Cienne added.

“They’re right,” Ara nudged me.

I shook my head, “I don’t want to compromise my time with Ara. I’m okay, don’t worry girls.”

“Sure ka?” Cienne asked.

“Oo naman,” I said and pulled Ara closer to me. “Si Ara naman powerbank ko eh.”

“Ayun lang,” the other girls bantered.