CHAPTER 24

“Bring them out,” I told my siblings who are lined up in our front door. I purposely used a louder voice so they can hear me as Ara and I walk to where they are.

From Isabella up to Katrina, my younger siblings are all standing, side by side in a single horizontal line, in front of the door with wide creepy smiles on. Their hands are all behind their back but I already know what they are all up to.

They’re eyes were sparkling looking at the girl walking beside me towards them. My parents and Kuya Axel aren’t anywhere visible.

“Hello guys,” Ara nicely greeted my siblings.

Ara is still smiling despite the confused eyes. She may be wondering why I have creeps for siblings.

“Okay, ilabas niyo na,” I told the youngsters. 

Ara turned to me with an asking expression. I just rolled my eyes at the annoyingness of my siblings.

“Can they take photos with you?” I asked Ara.

“Princess please? Kuya Diethird is super excited to have a picture with you,” Isabella butted in with all her cuteness.

Ara smiled at me. “Akala ko naman kung ano, kinabahan ako,” she told me and then turned to Isabella. “Sure, pretty.”

Ara held out a hand to the smallest girl. Isabella walked to Ara as the older gave her a hug.

“How are you?” Ara asked Isabella.

My little sister smiled, “I’m super okay.”

Ara lightly patted Isabella’s nose with her finger, “That’s good. Can you introduce me to your Ates and Kuyas?”

Isabella nodded and took Ara’s hand. They took a few more steps closer to the other. “Princess, that is Ate Kat, then Ate Mariella. And that is Kuya Diethird and Kuya Enrico.”

“Hi guys,” Ara waved at my starstruck siblings. I just shook my head.

The other four where planted on their feet and weren’t able to move. Ara noticed the stiffness of the rest so she took the extra step and hugged the girls first. Katrina turned red then to purple after hugging her Ate Ara. I just shook my head.

After hugging the rest Ara turned to me with hesitation when the other still wouldn’t move on their spots.

“Are they okay?” Ara asked.

I chuckled, “Yeah. Ganda mo kasi.”

She rolled her eyes at me and then turned to the rest. “Who wants a picture?” Ara hesitantly asked the rest.

“Gagalaw kayo o ipapasok ko na si Ara?” I told the statues.

After hearing me, the youngsters scrambled to stand beside Ara.

“Kuya, picture mo kami,” Mariella gave me her phone.

“I’m too gwapo to be behind the camera,” I said. “Enrico, ikaw kumuha.”

“Thomas eh,” Ara whined. “Sige na kunan mo na.”

“Ugh. Fine,” I eventually said and took hundreds of photos. Iba’t-ibang cellphone, Iba’t-ibag kasama ni Ara, pinagbigyan ko na lang.

After hundreds of photos, my siblings somehow were able to ease in with Ara.

“Kinabahan ako sa inyo, akala ko kung ano ng meron,” Ara told them after the photo op.

“Sorry Ate, we were excited to see you lang po,” Diethird said.

“Thank you po sa pictures Ate,” Katrina said.

“Ano ba yan, okay lang. Gusto niyo magpictorial pa tayo eh,” Ara said. I know she’s trying to make my brothers and sister comfortable with her.

“Talaga po?” Enrico asked with wide eyes.

“Oo naman,” Ara said and patted his shoulder.

“Are you done? Can I introduce my girl to our parents now?” I butted in and waved my sibling aside to stand beside Ara.

“KJ tong kuya niyo,” Ara commented which made everyone giggle.

“Thomas!” I heard my Mom.

I felt Ara stiffened when she heard an older woman. I smiled and swung my arm over her shoulder.

“Relax, I love you,” I whispered to her ear as we both looked at my parents and my older brother walk to our direction.

Ara discretely took a deep breath and looked at me.

“I love you no matter what,” I said quickly and kissed her temple.

She smiled at me and the oldies are now in front of us.

“Good evening po,” Ara confidently but nicely greeted the newcomers.

“Good evening hija,” my Mom replied and pulled Ara for a beso.

The others greeted Ara too. Ara being her usual Ara was very funny and accommodating that my parents were immediately comfortable with her. Mom and Dad were smiling their satisfied faces, especially Dad. He seems to like Ara and her wit.

That is one big check for me.

Eventually, Ara was finally able to get in the house. I don’t know what’s up with my family but they are all over the top with fussing over Ara that they forgot the most important thing, inviting her in.

“Can we let Ara breath for a moment? Please don’t overwhelm her, baka takbuhan ako,” I said loudly when we were able to get in.

Ara is being mobbed by my family. My parents have so many questions. The girls are being girls with Ara. Diethird and Enrico just won’t stop taking pictures. Ugh.

Ara giggled and turned to me, “Okay lang. Don’t worry about me.”

I ignored Ara and turned to the rest of my family, “Just please can everybody please stay at least 50 meters away from her now? You’re suffocating her.”

My siblings moved away from her but my parents did not. They just looked at me with amusement.

“Uy, okay lang,” Ara told my sisters and then turned to me, “Shush. Huwag ka maingay.”

“Ganiyan talaga yang si Thomas, Ara, medyo overprotective. That’s how he is with his sisters and brothers,” Dad said.

Now I walked and stood beside her.

Ara smiled to my Dad, “That, he is, Tito.” She then turned to me and winked, “You were telling me to relax earlier. Now, back at you, don’t worry.”

“Oh bigyan muna tong dalawa ng lambing moment,” Kuya Axel finally butted in. He then turned to the younger ones. “Everybody to the kitchen. Mom, are you done with the food?”

“Yes,” Mom said. She obviously understood Kuya Axel’s signal then turned to the rest of the family, “Now you guys, help me prepare the table.”

The rest went to the kitchen. Dad passed by me and Ara before following, “Sunod na lang kayo?”

“Yes Dad,” I said.

“Thank you for making my son smile, hija. He can be overprotective and irritable sometimes but that’s his charm,” Dad told Ara who was smiling widely.

“I would have to agree, Tito,” Ara said. “Okay lang po na ganun, gwapo naman eh. Mana sa inyo.”

Dad chuckled, “I had my time.”

Ara smiled as my Dad walked to the kitchen.
***
.
.
.
.
.
“I like her,” Dad told me as we both watch Ara and my siblings take photos after photos after photos of themselves.

We just finished dessert and the girls won’t stop hovering around Ara. I just gave up deflecting them. Ara’s cool with it, anyways. They are in the pool area while Dad and I are standing by the door watching over them.

“I love her, Dad,” I told Dad.

We’re the kind of family who are very with each other, like super tight. I’m not really shy about sharing these kinds of things to my parents. Even my other siblings are also like that to Mom and Dad.

“We all can see,” Dad said. “I hope you wouldn’t mind me mentioning this. Before with the other Arra, I also noticed genuine happiness from you. I even thought she was the one for you. You were happy and we’re all okay.”

Dad paused for a moment so I turned to him. He was looking to the girls and Ara.

“But this Ara, I never thought you can smile wider, your eyes sparkle brighter,” Dad said. “I’ve seen you in love but there is something with this girl that makes it different.”

“That’s what I’ve been asking myself too, Dad,” I said. “There is just this strong force in my heart that’s been drawing me to her.”

My Dad patted my shoulder. “I trust your judgment son and as long as you’re happy, I’m good.”

“Thank you, Dad,” I said.

“And she’s funny, witty and pretty,” Dad added.

“That and so much more,” I said.

“Kuya!” I heard Katrina called. “Sali ka dito!”

“Go,” Dad pushed me.

I just smiled and went to where the girls are.

“Picture kayo ni Ate Ara,” Mariella dragged me to stand beside Ara.

My girl was all smiles when I reached her. I draped my arm over her shoulders as she clung to my waist. I gave her a quick kiss on the temple.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yep,” she said.

I smiled and fished out my hankie. I wiped the sweat over her face, “Pawis na pawis eh,” I commented.

“Sorry naman, ginawa akong model ng mga kapatid mo eh,” she said with a smile.

“You two are super cute,” Katrina commented. I didn’t notice that they were already taking pictures of us.

“Can we post this, Ate?” Mariella asked.

“Depende sa inyo girls,” Ara answered.

The two squealed as they excitedly tinker their phones. For sure, my phone will turned into a timed bomb once they post the pictures.

“Ako? Pwede bang magpa-picture sayo?” I asked Ara.

“Pag-iisipan ko,” Ara playfully said.

“Daya,” I said and pinched her nose. I took my phone from my pocket and turned to my sisters. “Eto naman gamiton niyo.”

I handed my phone to my sister. I pulled Ara closer to me with my arm over her shoulder but she snaked both her arms around my waist. Now she’s hugging me. Who am I to not respond? I locked her in my arms.

“Ai me paganun kayong dalawa?” Katrina commented. “Look here please.”

Ara and I both turned to her while we are hugging each other. Ara rested her head on my chest as I pull her closer.

“Awwww, ang sweet,” Mariella commented.

“Big smiles,” Katrina said and took shots.

My sister handed me back my phone. Ara did not let go of me as we both took a look of our pictures together.

“Alam mo, parang gumaganda ako pag katabi kita,” Ara said while we were browsing.

“With or without me, you are beautiful,” I said.

“We’re outta here,” my sisters flew away.

“My parents love you,” I told Ara without breaking our hug.

“I love them too. Your Mom cooks the best and your Dad is super cool,” she said.

“That’s good,” I said and tuck some strands of her hair behind her ear.

“Thank you for the warm welcome,” she said.

“I love you,” I said and kissed her nose.

“I love you,” she said back.

“Sweet,” Ara and I both turned to Kuya Axel. “Hinahanap kayo ni Mommy.”

“Okay Kuya, sunod kami,” I told my big brother. I turned to Ara, “Let’s go?”

She nodded with a smile as we walked hand in hand back to the house.

“Ara, I baked some cookies for you to bring home,” Mom gave Ara a jar of cookies.  

“Thank you, Tita. You didn’t have to,” my girls replied.

“Don’t worry about it,” Mom said. “It’s the least that I can do. You make my son happy.”

Ara smiled and turned to me. “Thomas makes me happy din po,” she said. This may sound gay but that made me kilig-ed.

“Mom, I’ll bring Ara home na. It’s getting late,” I said.

After all the goodbyes, I was able to finally snatch Ara away from my family.
***
.
.
.
.
.
“What is he doing here?” I asked my cousin.

I just came in Kasserine’s café and my brows immediately stitched themselves together. When I came in Ara is talking to Liam.

Few more weeks from today will be my cousin’s wedding. We are done with the preparations and we are just rehearsing and rechecking everything for the nth time. I also have to endure seeing Ara talking to her ex as they are major part of the prep team.

“Hay naku! Don’t start, Thomas. I don’t want any of your drama today,” Kasey ranted.

“Bro, relax lang. Liam looks harmless,” Kieth consoled.

Ara and Liam were talking on one table and passing folders to each other. They looked like they mean only business but you just can’t erase the worry in me.

“Cous, I want to join them,” I told Kasey.

“No, you sit there. Don’t disturb, they are preparing for MY wedding. I don’t want hiccups so shut up and blend in with the walls,” Kasey ranted.

I didn’t argue but I kept on watching the two. Liam still keeps on glancing Ara’s way. There’s no denying, he still has something for Ara. I can’t describe how I knew it, I just know.

“Bro, relax,” Kieth nudged my arm.

“How?” I asked firmly. “If Kasey’s ex is here talking to her and glancing her way like he’s still in love with her, how will you relax?”

“Bro, Kasey doesn’t have any ex. I’m her only love,” Kieth proudly said.

True, childhood sweetheart pala ang K&K.

“Okay, let’s put it this way. What if someone you know has feelings for Kasey is sitting beside her now, glancing her way like he’s gonna steal her from you. What would you feel?” I asked.

“Nothing, I would still love Kasey. I am confident about what she feels about me and I trust her. No matter what the guy will do, I know Kasey has her eyes on me,” Kieth answered directly.

“Okay na ka na Thomas? Trust Ara. Now shut up,” Kasey butted in. She was obviously eavesdropping in our conversation.

“Tsk.”

I don’t know but I really have the uneasy feeling. I don’t want to see my girl with someone else but I can’t not watch over them.

Liam called Ara’s attention. She looked up to him. He told her something which made Ara smile. They were talking and Ara looks amused at the conversation. Her beautiful smile is platered on her face but it was not directed to me.

I don’t know but I felt something, something bad. I don’t like watching Ara smile for another man.

That’s it. I’m outta here. I don’t want to hear anything from Kasey so it would be better if I go out.

“Hey! Where are you going? We’re not do–,”  I heard Kasey called but I ignored her.

I went out to find something to cool me down. My body temperature is rising and I don’t know what I can do if it continues.

I took my car and drove away. I passed by a gelato shop and I thought an ice cream would do in cooling me down.

I just got off my car when my phone rang.

“Where did you go?” Ara asked when I answered the call.

“I just went out for a gelato,” I dryly said.

“Ayyy, bakit di mo ako sinama?” she said cutely.

“You’re doing something,” I said grumpily.

“What’s up with you?” she suddenly asked noticing my lukewarm tone.

“Wala. Just finish what you’re doing,” I said.

“Thomas, is there something wrong?” she asked worriedly.

“Wala,” I said. “Sige na.”

“Thom,” she called again.

“Ara, just do what you’ve got to do. Para matapos na yan,” I huffily said.

“San ka? Puntahan kita,” she worriedly asked.

“Huwag na,” I said. “I’m sorry, nothing’s wrong. Sige na, trabaho ka na. Balik agad ako diyan.”

“Are you sure?” she asked.

“Yes, you want gelato? What would you like?” I asked.

“Huwag na lang Thom,” she sadly said. “Balik ka na lang agad please.”

“Okay,” I said and hang up.

I hate jealousy. I don’t like what I’m feeling. But if you truly love someone, it is unavoidable.
***
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Author’s Note:

Sorry for the late update. Sorry for the typo and grammatical errors. Sorry for the medyo lutang update. Kayo na po bahala.

If you could share your thoughts, it would really be helpful for me. Baka may ideas kayo diyan para mapaganda yung story or criticism para ma-improve yung writing ko, welcome po lahat.

Thank you. Follow me on Twitter à @maryc2793

Comment and Vote