Chapter 8

Jace's POV

We arrived at the pier, groans and howls sounding loudly. Werewolves. Two of them were fighting in front of the restaurant, while the others were standing around them, watching.

"They're distracted. Let's go in the back.", I muttered to Izzy and Alec, and they nodded. Within seconds, we had reached the back door, and Izzy quickly drew an unlock rune on it, making the door spring open.

Quietly, we snuck in, going through the kitchen.

"Over here.", Alec called quietly, motioning towards a different door.

I rushed to him, pulling it open. There, behind bars, was Lia. She was on the ground, her hands tied to the pipes on the wall. My heart sunk at the sight of her unconscious body, and I was shocked, but not surprised to see dark blood trickle from her forehead. Without thinking, I kicked in the cell door, just thinking about getting to her.

Quickly, I kneeled down, taking her soft face in my hands. The warm feeling overcame me again, but I gently let go of her face, and grabbed my stele. I then shoved it into the chains of her handcuffs, and twisted it, so the chain broke.

"Hey, hey. Lia, wake up.", I stroked her cheeks again.

Her eyes fluttered, and she looked around, disoriented at first, but then recognized me.

"Jace-", her voice was hoarse, but she looked relieved. "Thank god.".

"We're getting you out of here. And I'm not letting you out of my sight.", I muttered, my thumb still on her cheek. She leaned into my palm, her head turning, and I noticed how bad the laceration on her temple was. Quickly, I picked up my stele again, drawing over her Healing rune. She hissed slightly, but the cut disappeared.

"We need to go.", Alec rushed from outside, his bow at the ready.

I helped Lia up, she was stumbling slightly.

"Can you walk?", I muttered, and she gave me a weak nod. She wasn't okay. At all.

I rushed her to the back door, and we headed towards the front. The fight had quieted down now, and I was surprised to see Luke in the middle of it. His shirt was torn and bloody, as he looked out over the other werewolves, who, one after one, sank to their knees, bowing in front of him. He had killed the Alpha.

"Luke!", the name escaped Lia's lips, as she rushed to him. Her steps were weak, still, but the Healing Rune seemed to have given her a boost. Not caring about the blood on his chest, she jumped into his arms.

I watched as they exchanged a few words, but was broken out of it when Alec stepped next to me.

"We have to get back to the Institute.", he said, and I nodded.

"Yeah.", I walked over to Lia.

"We have to go.".

She sighed, giving Luke a last hug. He was swaying a bit. So was she. I narrowed my eyes.

Suddenly, Lia let out a gasp, as Luke broke down on top of her. He fell forwards, Lia struggling under his weight. I quickly grabbed his arm, swinging it over my shoulder.

"Luke!", Lia exclaimed. Luke let out a groan, weighing down on me.
"His wounds are deep.", I let out, looking up at Alec, who rushed towards me.

"I got him.", he muttered, taking Lia's place.

"He needs a warlock.", I rushed, and Lia nodded, breathless. "Magnus.", she let out and started fidgeting with Luke's trousers, getting out a pair of car keys.