Chapter 2 - Team Leo

CHAPTER 2

It took less than a minute to reach the gathering position, in which the other 13 campers were chattering and joking around loudly, it was as noisy as a wet market. The two teams were clearly marked, with the Red Team in red armour and Team Leo in blue armour greased with machine oil by Leo’s siblings. Lily rolled her eyes at the sight of the greased oil forming the words TEAM LEO FTW.

Leo took out another Team Leo armour from nowhere and handed it to Lily. She took it and stared at it skeptically, wondering how the Hephaestus kids added the oil on it in such a neat way. “Wear it!” Leo gave another elfish grin and took off his jacket, revealing his Team Leo armour underneath, then he walked over to the rest of the team, slapping high fives at some of the other campers. Lily put on the armour while doing a headcount at the team, there were 7 at Team Leo and 8 at Red Team, they didn’t stand a chance, really, especially when there were the two war gods’ childrens at the opposite team- Ares and Athena, they’re surely going to have a strategic yet violent battle planned. She tied her loose blonde hair into a ponytail and proceeded towards the group of Team Leos.

“So, how’s stuff going on?” She took the initiative to speak, mentally labelling the teammates as their godly parents. There were 2 Hephaestus kids, including Leo; One Poseidon demigod, which was Lily herself; 1 Aphrodite kid (Lily couldn’t figure out how Lacy would be helping out later) ; 1 kid from Demeter (which Lily thought would be growing defense bushes in front of their flag) and another 2 boys from Apollo.

She wasn’t much of a strategist, but she worked it out and found out that only 4 of the 7 could actually help out, excluding her.

“Chiron says that we’ve got 5 minutes to plan and another 10 to place our flag somewhere in

the forest starting from now,” The Demeter kid chirpped. She looked around 8 years old, quite young for a demigod to be in camp indeed.

“Cool, now what?” One Apollo demigod crossed his arms.

Leo stepped into the circle,”Now what? Now let’s have PAPA LEO TEACH YOU HOW TO WORK OUT YOUR PLANS!” He lit a flame on his fingertip and blew it off when Lacy shivered. “Pretty easy really, I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve today, including new inventions Larry and Drew 0.2,” He whispered, “I’ll dispose Drew 0.2 sooner or later cuz I made it in honour of the former Aphrodite cabin head Drew-”

“STOP STATING THE OBVIOUS!” The other Apollo kid said, hands on hips.

Leo flipped his hair,”Some newbies over here might not know who is Drew, Kurty!”

The Apollo kid, Kurty, flushed red and rubbed is face,”IT’S KURT WINSHREW, NOT KURTY”

So Kurt, Lily thought, shrugging doubtfully.

“Oh so it’s not Kurty? Sorry I should have said your correct name Kurtsy right?” Leo joked, scratching his curly brown hair while taking out a tiny bottle of pink gas, “As in COURTESY!”

The whole group couldn’t resist the joke and laughed along, as the boy Kurt pumped his fists up. If he wasn’t Apollo’s spawn, then he could have been from Cabin 5 judging on his looks and attitude.

Leo twirled the pink gas bottle around his slender fingers and handed it in front of Kurt,”Leo here likes dangerous potions, Leo wonders if Kurtsy likes dangerous potions.”

The small group cracked up again, even Leo’s Hephaestus sibling Nyssa, as Lily recalled, who wasn’t much of a joking person, laughed along at the sight of Leo speaking in third person. Then Nyssa held up her hands,”Hey, enough of that, Leo; chillax Kurt. We have less than 2 minutes to plan something out.

“I say how ‘bout we have Leo and a powerful-ish person to stay defense for the flag?” She suggested. The hot air between Leo and Kurt slowly condensed that Lily didn’t even notice that the air was burning just now until it cooled down.

Leo held out his pink gas to Lacy,”I’m sure Lacy would stay as front defenders, so here’s Drew 0.2, turn open-”

Lacy took it and turned the cover, and just as it was turned open, Leo was alarmed and shouted instantly,”Not now Lace! That gas is POISONOUS, and I do mean POISONOUS.” He took a deep breath, “At least it’s poison-ish. It’ll confuse the enemies when it is sprayed on their faces, and I repeat, DO NOT OPEN IT NOW.” He gave her a big smile.

The Demeter kid avoided the others’ stares and shook her head as to say not to go in defense with Leo at the flag. Kurt denied the offer also, figures.

All that’s left was Lily, Nyssa and the other unnamed Apollo kid.

“Nope, I won’t go, my broken arm’s still in pain.” Nyssa shook her head also. When since did she break her arm? Lily thought, kicking the stones on the ground doubtfully.

That leaves Lily and the Apollo kid.

“Let’s have Lily then!” Leo suggested, his mischievious grin appearing on his face, “I’m sure Mark here would do good if he went for the red flag,” He patted his hand on Lily’s shoulder, grinning widely.

Lilly gulped,”Yeah, I guess?” She swallowed the lump on her throat,”Hope I won’t screw it up…” She muttered under her breath.

“Alright then. We’ve got another 1 more minute, so Leo and Lily will hide the flag and stay on guard, while Mark, Deyna and I can go fetch the other team’s flag. Kurt and Lacy can stay as defense,” Nyssa said, gesturing the directions with her hand. That Demeter child should be Deyna. Lily thought, figures. Demeter would totes want her daughter to have a name starting with D.

“As long as I don’t have to stay with Fire-Breath,” Kurt muttered, avoiding Leo’s death stare.

Just then, Chiron’s voice rang through the cool Summer air,”Demigods, you now have 10 minutes to hide your team’s flag,” Lily turned toward him, pushing a loose curl of her blonde hair behind her ears,”Please be back in precisely 10 minutes so we can start the game ASAP.”