Chapter 3 - The Flag

CHAPTER 3

The Demeter kid avoided the others’ stares and shook her head as to say not to go in defense with Leo at the flag. Kurt denied the offer also, figures.

All that’s left was Lily, Nyssa and the other unnamed Apollo kid.

“Nope, I won’t go, my broken arm’s still in pain.” Nyssa shook her head also. When since did she break her arm? Lily thought, kicking the stones on the ground doubtfully.

That leaves Lily and the Apollo kid.

“Let’s have Lily then!” Leo suggested, his mischievious grin appearing on his face, “I’m sure Mark here would do good if he went for the red flag,” He patted his hand on Lily’s shoulder, grinning widely.

Lilly gulped,”Yeah, I guess?” She swallowed the lump on her throat,”Hope I won’t screw it up…” She muttered under her breath.

“Alright then. We’ve got another 1 more minute, so Leo and Lily will hide the flag and stay on guard, while Mark, Deyna and I can go fetch the other team’s flag. Kurt and Lacy can stay as defense,” Nyssa said, gesturing the directions with her hand. That Demeter child should be Deyna. Lily thought, figures. Demeter would totes want her daughter to have a name starting with D.

“As long as I don’t have to stay with Fire-Breath,” Kurt muttered, avoiding Leo’s death stare.

Just then, Chiron’s voice rang through the cool Summer air,”Demigods, you now have 10 minutes to hide your team’s flag,” Lily turned toward him, pushing a loose curl of her blonde hair behind her ears,”Please be back in precisely 10 minutes so we can start the game ASAP.”

Lily turned back, noticing Leo sitting on the dirt ground, desperately spraying some spray paint on the blue flag.

Nyssa crossed her arms,”You don’t have to transform the flag right?”

“I do!” Leo yelped, being sprayed by the golden paint. His hands were a shine of gold as he rubbed them on his face, giving himself a gold shade. He greased the blue flag into the words ‘Team Leo’.

“Ugh, I’ve had enough.” Kurt said, turning away from the small group. His Apollo sibling Mark walked along with him.

Lily rolled her eyes as well, gazing upon the night sky. The silver moon was a sliver that night, not even a crescent, how’s Artemis doing? She wondered, after all, she had rejected the offer of becoming a huntress last year, “Leo, are you done yet?” She asked.

He stood up, holding the flag, he brushed off black soot on his cheek with his sleeve,”Team Leo to the game!”

Then he marched off giving thumbs-up to the others.

Lily rolled her eyes as she ran to follow him.

She heard the rest of the group yelling ‘Good luck’ while she ran into the woods,

Good luck, she said to herself.