"It's just a dream darlin'"

It wasn't the scream that woke Liam. It was his name.

"No, not him. PLEASE NOT LIAM! LEE NO! Take me, take me instead! Please. I'm begging you" 

Liam's blood turned to ice, flowing through his veins like a slushy. He sat bolt upright in the front seat of the SUV they had stolen all those months ago. He snapped his head around to see Ruby on the back seat writhing with the fear and pain of her own mind.

He hopped over two seats to get to her, pressing one had on her cheek and one on her heaving chest.

"Ruby wake up! It's just a dream darlin'. RUBY WAKE UP! Dammit Ruby, PLEASE!"

She sat bolt upright, her sweaty hair flying. And the worst part for Liam were her eyes. Her beautiful green eyes. The ones he had fallen in love with the moment he had seen them in that rear-view mirror all that time ago. The ones that were now flooded with a kind of absolute terror that was too much to comprehend.  She looked at him, and crumpled.

"Liam...Liam, I-I-I-can't- I-..."

He wrapped his arms around her, one around her waist and one around her shaking shoulders. He didn't speak, he didn't even move, he simply held her there. 

After minutes or maybe hours, he spoke, 

"I'm here Ruby. I'll always be here darlin'. Nobody can take me away. You know why? Because every time I'll find my way back to you. I love you, Ruby. Simple as that, I love you."

Her lips collided with his. It was a deep, passionate kiss, but it was sweet. It was almost as if she was silently telling him that she loved him too. 

The door to the SUV opened and Vida's blue head appeared. 

"Agh!! Get your asses out here and stop the lovey- doveyness will you?!" 

And so that what the end of it. Liam didn't ask Ruby about the dream,  but he did make it a priority to be near her when she was sleeping from that point on.