Chapter Thirty-Nine

Emily's POV:

"Go" Avalon says after a while of sitting in silence. 

"What?" I ask.

"You need to talk to him. If you don't you're going to regret it. Go." As soon as I'm about to object I stop myself. I know she's right. But can I face him? 

"I believe in you. I know it's going to be hard to see him and not be upset, but you have to go see him." She tells me.

"I know." I mumble as I grab a coat and my phone, and head to my car. I make my way to Harry and sigh. Here goes nothing. Slowly I step out of my car and head through the front doors of the hotel building. I smile at the woman at the front desk and continue to the elevator. 

The elevator ride feels like it's taking forever. I tuck my hair behind my earas the elevator doors open. Hesitantly, I walk to the door and stare at it for a few minutes. Can I really do this? 

Finally I gather up my courage and knock on the door. The door opens and a shocked Louis is on the other side. 

"Emily?"

"Louis, I need to talk to Harry." He nods knowingly and lets me in. 

"He's in his room." He tells me. I walk to his room and I knock on the slightly cracked open door.

"Go away Lou." He grumbles. 

I push the door open and walk in. It smells like Harry. A few of his clothes are scattered around the floor. Harry is laying shirtless on his bed facing the wall.

I sit on his bed and touch his bare shoulder. His soft skin under my touch makes a spark rush through my fingers and through my body. He doesn't move. I guess he still thinks I'm Louis. I lay down next to him, with my chest against his exposed back. I wrap my arms around him and I rest my head on his bicep. 

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"No. I should be sorry. I should have let him break up with you. He loved you and you loved him. I should've dealt with it." He says as he turns around so his torso is facing mine. Our faces are about two inches apart. 

"Yeah you probably should've. Harry he was right. I do love him but I still love you. You'll never have competition in my eyes."

His eyes light up. He smiles a slight smile and leans in to kiss me. Our lips touch for only a second before I pull away. 

"Harry, I know I said I love you, but I also said I love Logan. I need a little time to get over the breakup. Can we just be friends?"

"It's going to be hard just being friends with you." Harry mumbles. 

"Harry." I plead.

"Being friends with you is better than nothing. Just knowing that you love me back is enough to get me by. I love you Ducky."

Harry's POV:

"Hey Haz." Louis says from the doorway. I ignore him and just stare at the wall in silence. "What are you doing?"

"I am laying down in my bed just wishing things had gone differently" I explain with a sad tone of voice. 

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"The only thing that would help is Emily being in my arms." I mumble. With that, Louis leaves without a word. I know I could've been a it nicer but I love Emily. I really messed things up. What was I thinking? 

"Go away Lou." He grumbles. 

Lou pushes the door open and walks in. I'm laying on my bed shirtless facing the wall. 

He sits on my bed and touch his bare shoulder. That's weird. Hinestly, the hand feels like Emily's. The size and the softness match perfectly. I always loved her hands because they were so cute. They're so tiny and so soft. He lays down next to me. As soon as I feel someone against me I can tell exactly who it is. My breath shakes as Emily's chest presses against my exposed back. She wraps her arms around me and rests her head on my bicep. 

"I'm sorry." I hear her whisper softly.

"No. I should be sorry. I should have let him break up with you. He loved you and you loved him. I should've dealt with it." I explain as I turn to face her. My face is dangerously close to hers and I'm tempted to kiss her but I know that won't be a good idea. 

"Yeah you probably should've. Harry he was right. I do love him but I still love you. You'll never have competition in my eyes."

I smile and immediatly I'm in a good mood. I lean in to kiss her. My lips touch her soft pink ones. Only a second laster she pulls away. I wish she hadn't but it's not like I was expecting differently. I knew she wouldn't kiss me the same day her boyfriend broke up with her and she found out I knew and sort of encouraged it. Still, just feeling her lips against mine, although only for a second, was enough to make me happy. I missed her lips. I missed her. 

"Harry, I know I said I love you, but I also said I love Logan. I need a little time to get over the breakup. Can we just be friends?"

"It's going to be hard just being friends with you." I admit. 

"Harry." She begs. 

"Being friends with you is better than nothing. Just knowing that you love me back is enough to get me by. I love you Ducky."

She smiles and comes closer to me. Her head rests on my chest and she cuddles up to me. I smile at the sudden touch of the girl that I've been chasing for what felt like forever. I put my arms around her and hold her close. I don't care what anyone says. Nothing can compare to the touch of someone you love when you know they love you back. 

The next morning I wake up with Emily wrapped in my arms. I look down at her. Her chest is raising and lowering as she breathes softly.  She just looks so beautiful and even when she's not trying, she's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. I hear her mumble softly and start to stir. She's waking up.

"Harry?" She mumbles.

"Hey Ducky."

"Harry." She reprimands. 

"Sorry." I know she doesn't want me calling her that because she's trying to get over Logan. I get it. 

"Did I fall asleep on you?" She sounds worried.

"Yeah?"

"I am so so sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"I never said I was uncomfortable." I cut off her rambling.

"Yeah but still."

"You used to fall asleep on me all the time while we were dating." I laugh.

"Yeah." She starts awkwardly. "But that was when we were dating."

I don't think I realized how different everything would be if we weren't dating. I know we're friends and I am so beyond grateful but still. It's not the same as being able to call her mine. I watch her as she is standing by the window looking at some unread text messages. Oh Emily. If you only knew how much you meant to me.