Twelve.

Mark was panting heavily, his body feeling like it was on the verge of exploding. He squeezed his eyes shut and grabbed onto the table tightly, attempting to handle the pain going through his body. A week had passed since Mark accepted becoming an Angel, and for the past three days, he was only feeling pain. It was something he thought he could handle at first, but the pain only grew worse as the days past.

His body felt on fire, more so than ever, as if he were sitting in the middle of an explosion. Everything in him ached, it felt like every muscle in him had been ripped and torn to shreds. He felt knives dragging across his skin, cutting him in every direction at different depths.

Mark yelled through clenched teeth before forcing himself to stand up straight, his head feeling dizzy. The surrounding area was blurred, both from the pain and tears. He stumbled over, using the wall as support, and tried to walk into the kitchen of the place he was currently at.

Sean was supposed to be at the abandoned house any minute now. Every second Mark waited felt like a year passing, each minute a blistering, painful decade. He bit his bottom lip roughly, nearly drawing blood, and dipped his head before hearing rushing footsteps.

"Oh, goodness. Oh no. Okay, well... you're – uh – you're transitioning into an Angel," Sean stated quickly and blatantly. Mark shot him an annoyed, 'I know this' look.

"No shit," he choked out painfully before groaning. Sean moved around Mark's body, putting his hand on Mark's shoulders, trailing his hands down Mark's back. Mark let out a string of curses from the feeling of hands dragging over his tearing skin. Something was suddenly lifted the hem off his shirt, the sweat and blood covered fabric being peeled off slowly. Another string of curses flew out of him mouth as he felt the fabric being removed slowly from his open wounds like a bandaid.

Before Mark could muster up the energy to tell Sean just to yank it off, the shirt was finally off and discarded somewhere on the floor. "Oh my God," Sean whispered. Mark knew he was trying to be light and delicate when he touched his back just barely, but the weight of his finger felt like knives on his skin. He let out a hiss and instantly the finger was off his back. "It's been three days since you... began to feel pain, correct?" Mark nodded robotically, his body in too much pain to even nod. "Dear God..."

Mark was growing impatient and quickly snapped, "What?!" at him.

"You're body is transitioning faster than an Demon I have ever seen." Mark barked out a sarcastic laugh. "It's supposed to take a Demon longer than just three days. It takes exactly two weeks to a month, sometimes longer. Wings take three days to come in. But you... you're transitioning and your wings are about to come out at any second."

"Is that a bad thing?" He shuffled a bit until he was at the broken counter, leaning over it. His hands grabbed the edge of the counter and laid his head against the cold countertop.

Sean was behind him again, hands lightly skimming over Mark's ripping skin. "No, no no. But it most definitely isn't a pleasant thing. All the pain that is supposed to be spread out amongst that timespan and being crammed into three days, possibly two since the wings wouldn't of come in on the first day. It would be a miracle if you were to survive."

"No pressure," Mark mumbled sarcastically before a yell ripping out of his scratchy throat. He let go of the counter and fell into a ball on the cracked tiles under him. His face buried between his knees as he shook in pain.

He felt his skin ripping even more, and he heard Sean murmur something that sounded like "Oh God" as he felt his skin tear. It was as if two knives were being dragged slowly over the same spots over and over again, tearing the skin and muscles under them repeatedly, gradually getting deeper until two hands yanked the cuts apart quickly. The muscles ripped apart, some still hanging together my a thread.

And that's when he felt something push through his skin, double the size of the wounds and ripping them even more. The last thing he remembered was another yell roaring through his body before blacking out.

>>>>>>

The hospital room was quiet, aside from the beeping of the heart monitor. Mark lay still in the hospital bed, his chest rising and falling smoothing. Of course, Angels can't get hurt, but when a Demon turns into an Angel, they'll need medical assistance to make sure everything went properly. Sean's eyes hadn't left Mark since he brought him to the hospital, the only one in Heaven that is specifically for new Angels — whether is be from recently passed souls or transitioned souls.

He couldn't bare watching Mark's wings come in. The skin ripping inch by inch, some muscles holding on by a thread until being completely ripped apart by the wings forcing themselves through. Sean had to stop watching as soon as he saw the wings come through, causing more skin to split, and the blood covering the feathers in patches.

That was a few hours ago, and Mark should be waking up soon. At least, Sean was hoping he would. He needed to talk to him, he wanted to make sure he was okay and and how he was feeling. There were so many questions he wanted to ask that were running through his head — it was causing his leg to shake.

"Are you having fun staring at me?" Mark suddenly said, his voice scratchy from all the yelling, yet a playful tone was still mixed in. Sean snapped out of his thoughts and stood up instantly, rushing over to the bed. A smile came on Mark's face as soon as Sean was next to him, his eyes squinting. Quickly, Sean through his arms around Mark's neck as best he could, burying his head on his upper chest. Mark groaned and hissed out, "Pain. Ow." Letting go quickly, Sean sat on the bed next to Mark.

Man, he was glad to see him awake. And alive, really.

"How do you feel?" Sean asked happily, grabbing Mark's hand.

Mark chuckled lightly and looked at their hands. "I'm not dead, so great." He smiled at Sean and intertwined their fingers together. "All I did was transition into an Angel."

Sean's smile widened even more. "I know! How does it feel? Do you like it? I'm sorry you had to go through that pain, I hated seeing you like that. But you got your wings! They're so cool! You'll love them! I can show you mine, they're pretty similar, but mine are a lot dirtier. Anyways, back to the point, how do you feel? Any different? I mean–"

"Sean," Mark breathed, cutting off Sean's endless rambles. Sean closed his mouth and cocked his head slightly. Mark laughed and rubbed his thumb over the back of Sean's hand, and Sean couldn't help but smile at the sensation. "I'll tell you how I feel later, I'll go into every detail as possible. But listen, the only thing on my mind is that I'm an Angel now. I'm one of you. We can be together," he whispered, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Sean nodded, smiling, and leaned down go place his forehead against Mark's. He closes his eyes and listened to his breathing for a few seconds. "I know," he whispered gently. "God, I know."