Chapter 15 - The Next Chapter

CHAPTER 15

"So," she said looking at her feet. Obviously she felt awkward and maybe even a little bit bad for what she did to me.

"How long were you pretending?"

"2 years. Tops."

Two fucking years? A whole two years of my life with this stranger I thought I called a best friend.

"What!' I shouted, making my way over to Hannah's car. I just assumed we were driving that car back. She followed quickly behind me trying to keep up with my fast paced walk.

"Look, I did love you to pieces that whole time. I would never pretend to be your friend. I wasn't pretending anything else either. I had just had to give some," she hesitated a bit before continuing. "A little bit of information about you, 2 years ago when it started."

"When what started?" I finally stopped, turned to face her. But instead of my lazy stand I held my back straight and my arms were crossed in front of my chest.

"Me and Zayn." She looked me right in the eye.

"I don't even know who this Zayn kid is. He's in this little ensemble though, right?" She nodded her head, before walking to the drivers seat of her car. We both got into the car at the same time, but no one said a word. The only sound to be heard was the engine starting, and the passing of cars going the opposite direction.

"Sam, I do need to say something."

"What is it?" I folded my arms slightly. I was familiar with this car and the surroundings of it; the creaky door and the rattling sound I demanded she get fixed on countless occasions.

"As much as I would hate to admit it, I've loved being friends with you. I know you think it was all fake, but I can tell you for a fact that it isn't. I mean, yeah it was at the start because I had to at least try, but I got to know you properly. And I know we'll get on better now. Can we at least try?"

"You're not going to hit me with a car like Liam did after pretending?" I joked, realising that maybe I shouldn't let this get the better of me. I know she'd lied and been an awful person by doing so, but she was my best friend after all, and I didn't want to lose her over this. Who knows what would happen? I had to keep things normal.

"Well, if you piss me off I might have to..." She laughed at her remark and almost veered the car into the river bank that we drove past.

"So you are trying to kill me!" We both laughed even harder and I could feel my stomach creasing up and folding in on itself with every intake of breathe.

After a while, the laughing died down and the outside surroundings became vaguely familiar. I knew we were close to my house because there was that rotten smell in the air of pollution. It wasn't a polluted area, but it seemed to just reek of it all the time. Maybe it was the people who were polluting it with their stupidity and nonsense rather than the cars they used.

"Promise me something, Sam?" Hannah's voice had become serious and more stern, quickly throwing a sharp look at me as if she were looking for conformation to continue her request. "Don't talk to Liam, okay? And stay away from anyone you haven't met before. It could be dangerous."

I nodded in response. The promise made me a little nervous to be truthful. I didn't know what harm could come to me, but I didn't want to find out either. But I was still curious. I decided against the idea I'd conjured up of meeting someone I didn't know, because I feared a second rape or even a death, because we had arrived at my house after 2 hours of driving.

"I'll see you on Monday, I guess!" Hannah smiled, and quickly drove off before I could say anything else. I doubted she was going back to Lenny's because it would take her another 2 hours.