Chapter 8

Ryan's POV

I do regret breaking it off with Cosmina. She is now upset with me, she won't even look at me anymore. I don't blame her, though, I did this to myself. I was finally happy and I had to go and ruin it.

All of these thoughts run through my head as I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I roll over and look at the alarm clock next to my bed and it reads 4:01.

The fact that it is so late doesn't even matter to me. I know the lack of sleep will effect me, but that is unimportant. I hate having to live with the fact that I hurt the girl that I do love, it hasn't been even a day and it's already killing me.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek.

"I need to stay strong." I try to convince myself. Maybe it's for the best if I just stay out of her life and be nothing more than the guy who keeps her safe because it's his job.

Over and over again I repeat to myself that I need to stay strong. I lose track of the time as I do this.

~~.~~

A loud blaring wakes me up. I roll over and out of bed.

Must have fallen asleep after a while.

I stand and pull out a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt before heading to the shower down the hall.

My reflection stares back at me in the mirror and the livid bruises and scars are more apparent than before. I deserved it anyway. I stand, waiting for the shower for a few more minutes before it's warm.

I hiss at the pain stinging my body. My arms feel like they are on fire, in the pit of my stomach I feel sick.

I wash my hair, face, and body as fast as possible. I need to get out of the water quickly; it is starting to reopen the scars that litter my body.

-----------

Cosmina's POV

Today is the dreaded day that I have to present my project with Zak and Lucas.

I grab my uniform from its dry cleaning bag and go to get a quick shower. I wonder what will happen with our project today. I feel more nervous than ever. I hate presenting projects.

I dry off quickly and go to get ready. I go get to ready for the day. I hear a knock at the door.

"Come in," I yell. The door opens slightly and someone behind me clears their throat. I turn around and see Ryan, his eyes staring at the ground looking like he hadn't slept.

"What do you want?" I turn back to what I was doing.

A hand is placed on my shoulder "Look, Mina, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I really am. It's just I need to make sure that you are safe." I shake my head.

"Physically or emotionally?" I laugh sadly.

"Cosmina, just listen to me for a few minutes," I nod my head and look away, "Don't ever think that I don't care about you or love you. I do and that is why I had to do this. I know you don't like this, and I don't either, but this is for the best," He finishes. I shake my head at him again.

Arms wrap around my shoulder and I stiffen. "Mina, please don't be mad at me. Can't we just be friends for the time being?" He asks softly.

I shake my head and laugh, "Ryan, wasn't it you who said that we couldn't be friends before? Why do you suddenly want to now that it's your choice?"

"I'm sorry, I know it's a stupid idea, but it's better than nothing," He sniffles.

"I have to go, please consider us being friends?" With that, he leaves the room.