Chapter 10 - Lies

(Natsu's POV)

I spent the next few days wandering the hallways of 'Lord' Igneel's castle. He never shows himself to me, except when we eat dinner. I have no idea where he spends his time. But someone like me shouldn't even be asking that, because I have no idea where to spend my time.

Igneel said we can start training whenever I want. I don't know why he would give me the choice. But I'm going to use it; I need to get over the shock of Lucy if I really wanted to concentrate on training. By now, I've accepted the fact that I wasn't going to find Lucy in this place. But I wasn't going to give in and believe she was dead.

In fact, sometimes I use the time I have to search for Lucy. I even found a room that smelled just likke her, but a maid quickly made me get out. I didn't understand why. I wanted to stay there, because Lucy's smell was comforting.

"Hey, you there."

A guard addressed me from the sidelines. I looked up at him, and with surprise I saw he was actually human. Many of Igneel's guards were just ghosts created by his power. But this guy was definitely real. I was immediately suspicious of this guy. He's probably a spy.

"What?" I answered.

"Are you really a Dragon Slayer?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Yeah."

The guy looked at me quizzically, and then whistled. "Lord Igneel has a lot of work on his hands, then."

"What do you mean?" I asked angrily.

"Hey, calm down. All I'm saying is that Lord Igneel has a lot to teach you before you can reach your full potential." He said.

"Are you sayin' I'm not strong?" I was about to attack him, but he put his hand up in the 'I surrender' pose.

"Not at all."

"I think you are. And what would you know about Dragon Slayers, anyway?"

"I know a lot more than you think. Lord Igneel is a Dragon Slayer; I've seen him in action."

I stared at him in surprise. I lowered my fists, and said more to myself "Igneel...Is a Dragon Slayer?"

Up until now I had assumed that this wasn't the real Igneel; that it was just some person who coincidentally had the same name. But now I was beginning to think that this could be HIM.

"....I'm sorry. What's your name?" I asked the guard.

"Gerome." He smiled and answered.

He didn't seem like a bad person, and I felt bad for blowing up on him. I waved goodbye and left. I think talking to another person did me some good.

~

(Lucy's POV)

I've been watching Natsu for ages, hoping that he would somehow catch my scent again. But he never did. My hope diminished every day. I know what Lord Igneel plans for him......It's far too much. Natsu is already so powerful, I don't see why Igneel has to do this to him.

Instead of following Natsu like I normally do, I stayed in my room and moped around. I felt like I was on the verge of tears. I'm right under Natsu's nose, and I know he wants to find me. But he can't. And it's driving me insane. I can't even communicate with the maids like I used to.

I know Lord Igneel can sense me. Sometimes when I'm following Natsu, I'll know Igneel is watching us. But he's watching from the shadows, so Natsu will never know.

I heard a sudden crashing sound from outside. I looked out my window and into the courtyard, and saw that Natsu had begun his training. I sighed and sunk into the seat by my window. The sunlight felt nice, even in my spectral form. Then I heard more noises, but coming from outside my door.

I peeked through a crack in the door and saw guards walking down the hallway in silence. That's strange; they don't patrol this way. Strangely, the door opened a bit more so I could see. And I gasped when I saw.

The guards were carrying Erza, Gray, and Lisanna down the hallway. I knew what lay at the end of this hallway. The dungeon. But I thought Igneel had let them go! He lied!

My thought went straight to my keys on top of my dresser, which Igneel had graciously returned. But I remembered I couldn't use them; I can't use any type of magic in this form. So I knew I needed someone's help, someone who could still interact with the physical world.

I knew Natsu could save them; but how would I tell him I was there?

~

Once Natsu's training was over, I followed him to his room. It was already messy, and he had only spent a few days here! He had ordered the maids to bring his dinner to his room, so he wouldn't have to see Igneel. I could tell from the bruises and cuts all over him that the training didn't go well. But Natsu would be stubborn; and he would go back tomorrow. I felt proud, but scared for him as well.

I sat down on his bed, right next to him. But I knew he couldn't see me, hear me, or touch me.

The only source of light in the room was a dim candle. Natsu stared at it for awhile, before his dinner came in. Even then he was silent, and ate little. My heart ached to see him like this. Normally, he would eat so fast and messily, and he didn't care what people thought. He was the opposite of that now.

I thought he wouldn't feel me; so I reached out my hand and touched his face. Natsu's eyes flew to where I was sitting, even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"L-Lucy?"

He had felt me? I smiled despite myself, and a few tears rolled down my cheeks. It was as if Natsu could feel my distress, and reached out as if to find me and comfort me, but he couldn't. I hugged him, just to see if he would react. And he did. He felt my feelings, and even though he couldn't touch me, he was there for me. I let my tears free. I was with Natsu.

Natsu whispered "It's okay....I know you're here."

For a moment, the rest of the team was forgotten.

~

Sorry for the cliffhanger, but I just had to. :P. How sweet <3.

Set reads: 50!

:> Yeah okay so. I'll wait for then. xD