Part 16: What are you working on?

Note: Sorry if the story drags or if It takes me a bit to update. The reality is that I'm writing this as the real life story happens. Although there is still quite a long way before I catch you up to the present, and I have no idea how things will work out, I'm still feeling so good to be able to tell it and I'm glad there is a few of you out there who are enjoying it. 

-----

"So." Jake said as we stood by the bar. The patio had closed and we were now closing our tabs, making our last call. 

It was all so fast really. We laughed with his friends as we stood outside and had our drinks and when the night was almost over and they began to usher us out, Jake quite naturally grabbed on to my waist and led me inside.  How to explain all the things one feels in a situation like this?

I suppose that in everyday life if a guy you sorta like or find cute gets flirty in the bar, you go along- maybe get butterflies and stay weary in case things go too far. Of course, in this case, Jake and I had pretty much gone past being weary. I hadn't had anyone hold me this way in years- Daniel is not a PDA type of guy and so most of the time, he'd just stand next to me or lightly brush his hand on my back as we walked. 

And the reality is that this wasn't any guy- it's Jake. Still, I was enjoying it too much to try dissecting it- that came on the next day. At the moment, all I thought about was how nice it was that he was holding me, that he leaned in and kiss my cheek or how my skin tingled when he whispered something in my ear. 

"So?" I said softly with a flirty grin. "What now?"

"Well," He leaned in close to my ear, "I was thinking that I would stay with you." 

I turned to look at him and he took my hand, lacing his fingers through mine playfully. Maybe I should have said no but the reality was that I didn't want to. Sure, once upon a time I had put so much wasted time and energy into this guy but that was then and this is now. I'm a grown woman and even though my feelings have changed since then there was still this unbelievable chemistry. 

"Okay." I said simply, releasing his hand and turning towards the door as the bouncers continued to rush us out. 

"Hey." He said, making me turn back towards him as he signed his tab. "Wait for me."

"I am." I said, placing my hands behind my back and smiling. "But you're taking forever."

"Don't exaggerate." He said, walking up to me and signalling to the door. "After you."

"Thanks." I chuckled as the bouncer seemed to shake his head at us. 

July 2002- last day of Band Camp 

"What are you doing?" I asked, watching Patty slice through the air with her cymbal sharply. "You're going to hurt someone."

"Not if I've got a good grip on the cymbal..." She said, suddenly loosing her grasp and having the cymbal dangle on her arm by the strap. "See?"

She smiled brightly as I shook my head. 

"I do. We're supposed to be brainstorming visual ideas." I said, turning back to the other girls. We'd been working on learning our sets and what music to play when but now that things were coming together, we found ourselves with several opportunities to create some amazing visual segments. 

"What if..." Gaby began, excitedly stepping out with one leg and counting before crashing her cymbals together and sliding them together in a long line. It looked pretty cool.

"Make it longer." I said, having her exaggerate the long movement.

"It looks good but it won't fit during the drum break." Amy said. I smiled.