Chapter 2 To the Ship

12 Years Later

"Hansen, I have told you time and time again to go get water from the well, just do it!" Izzy's mom yells at her younger brother.

"Why do I have to do it? Izzy isn't doing much."

"Fine," Izzy says standing up, sick of listening to her younger brother complaining about doing anything. "I'll go and get water, you can sew your own pants."

She drops the pants, thread, and needle on his lap. "Izzy-"

"No mom, it's fine, but it's his fault if he only has one pair of pants."

"I don't know how to sew," Hansen complains.

"Not my problem or Izzy's anymore, and just wait until your father gets home-" Izzy closes the door before she can hear the rest of her mother's rant.

She heads towards the well feeling like someone is watching her, but assumes that it's that she's upset with her brother."

~#~

"How are you feeling son?" The Captain asks his son.

"It's hard I miss her; why did she have to die?"

"Your mother was a good person, we'll both miss her, but life has to go on."

"Yeah, I know, I think I'll get off the ship for a while when we stop next." He says.

"We should be at the next port within the next day or two."

"I'll walk right away to clear my mind."

"Okay, be back by dark."

"Yes, father."

~#~

As soon as they dock Jack leaves the ship. He wanders around the woods trying to clear his head. His attention is caught when he hears someone else making some noise. He heads towards them making sure that they can't see or hear them.

"Izzy." He whispers to himself. He recognizes the young lady in front of him as the young girl from his father's ship. He wonders if she recognizes him after all these years.

Jack shifts and steps on a stick, causing Izzy's head to shoot up. "Who's there?" she calls out.

Jack steps out from his hiding spot with his hands up. Izzy turns to face him and looks at him confused. "What are you doing out here?"

"I was just taking a walk to clear my mind and I came across ye."

"You like kind of familiar but I feel like I'd remember how you look and how you speak."

"Maybe I'm someone from your past."

"What?" she asks confused.

"We've met before Izzy."

"Are you sure?" she asks, although she has no idea how else he'd know her name.

"I am. I told you about a place called Africa."

Her eyes widen as it comes back to her. "Jack?" she asks.

Jack smiles as he puts his arms down. "You remember."

"I spent many nights dreaming about the stories you told me."

"Really?"

"Yes. I'm surprised you recognized me."