#16 Evil

I slowly opened the back door of the cabin. She was still there. I smiled at her. She looked at me. 

"What's up?" I asked her casually, trying to hide my emotions. She didn't answer. She never did. She just stared at me with those eyes that barely seemed human anymore. Stared and stared and stared until I thought I was going crazy. Well, maybe I was already crazy.

"Still not talking?" I half asked, half stated. Silence. She had been silent since she came here. She was so quiet I sometimes nearly forgot she was there. She was like a ghost. A malevolent ghost. Not once had she uttered a sound. Not like the others, who shouted and screamed and were so intolerably loud. She had been in my cabin for three days now, ever since her mother died. I was the only one she had seen since then. And since then something had been off. She seemed so detached from her world that I thought that she might try and murder someone. Sometimes she looked like she wanted to murder me. I had to share my food and water with her. 

I took a deep breath and walked past her, trying not to get too close to her. Under no circumstances did I want to touch her. I fixed us some dinner and shoved the plate in front of her, but she wouldn't touch it. She had only eaten once a day for the few days she had been here. It worried me, I didn't want her to starve, but at the same time I didn't want her to eat my food, which I believe it or not had to work quite hard for. Maybe if she died... But those horrid thoughts were for a later hour.

*********************************

It had to stop. 

Now. 

I've had enough. 

She had gotten boring. Like her mother, she accepted whatever happened to her. Her mother had just accepted her death. I stepped up to her and ripped the duct tape that had kept her silent the whole time of from her mouth. Gasped in pain and relieve. Then she saw the knife. Her eyes widened in the same fear that she always showed when I got close to her. Fear. It was disgusting. It laced her frail figure like a spider web. But no more.

"You don't have to be afraid. It'll only hurt a little" I lied with a smile. Oh, it would hurt and she'd be screaming by the end. I placed the knife on her thigh and pressed down lightly, while looking her in the eyes. Blood trickled to the floor. Fascinated I watched it run down her leg and form a pool at foot. She still made no sound.

"Still not talking?" I half asked, half stated. Silence. I grinned. "Don't worry. I swear you will be in a better place with your mom, when I'm done with you." But a better place was the place she would never go. She would burn in hell, if there was one, for what she and her mother had done to me. 

It was hours later when the floor was covered in blood and her once pretty face was barely recognizable, that she died. She had finally screamed and begged for her life and it had done her no good. She had to die. I looked at all the blood on the floor. I sighed. It was over. They were both dead, like they deserved. I lay down on the ground not caring about getting my clothes dirty. I closed my eyes and rammed the knife home. 

********

A/N another short story. I'll leave identity of the 'protagonist' up to your imagination.