#18 Grey

The skies were grey.

The kind of grey that suggests rain and an upcoming storm. The kind of grey that makes you glad you're inside. The kind of grey that makes you feel cold even though you have the radiator on the highest setting. That kind of grey.

She sighed as she looked out of the window. Soon it will be dark, she thought. The weather the past few days had made her feel all tangled up inside, all melancholic. It made her feel like her life was spiralling out of her control into... Nothing? She couldn't quite place the dull ache in her heart. Her heart longed, but for what she didn't know. It longed so badly she couldn't breathe, let alone focus on the tasks ahead of her.

A crow flew past her window and she watched as it danced in the cold wind. It made her long for freedom. But at the same time she craved comfort and someone to comfort her. If I could just pull this fucking thing out of my chest and be done with it, she thought as another crow flew by. More and more crows flew by. Or was she just noticing them more?

As another crow flew by she noticed the clouds were moving faster. The wind was picking up and it seemed to wash away her hearts longing, replacing it with apathy. She became tired. When the rain came she became frustrated. She hated the anger, the void in her chest and her stupid head for not being what they were supposed to be.

She let the shower pass, washing away her apathy and her anger. She watched a candle on the windowsill across the street flicker and spreading its warm light. She felt the warmth of the candle like a blanket around her.

The slightest of smiles played on her lips as she sighed. Tomorrow will be a good day, she sighed as she finished her sentence and closed her laptop.