Drip

I sat hair dripping and sticking to my face in the milky lukewarm bath water. The hum of the ceiling vent drowning out most of the commotion going on just outside the bathroom door.
Drip
Drip
Drip
The faucet leaked tiny droplets that harmoniously seemed to keep tune with my shattered heart. My fingers pruned and pale looked almost skeletal. I knew I needed to pull myself together I didn't have much longer before he barged in demanding to know what was taking me so long. He had already knocked rather loudly and intimidatingly twice.
Drip
Drip
Drip
I began to lay back letting the water soak into my hair sending those little air bubbles tickling up my neck and scalp as I sank deeper into the bath. Taking a deep breath I let the water take me under muting the sound of everything but my heart and the drip of the faucet. I wish I could stay here forever. Just below the surface where the water held me close. But to soon my lungs screamed for air, demanding I come up for air. I just craved the calm and the quiet. As I was about to surface rough hands seized my shoulders yanking me up. Coughing and sputtering out water from the shock and deprivation a hard slap meets my face causing my head to jerk hard to the side and my wet hair to cling to my face and neck. "What the fuck is wrong with you?! Huh? You have been in here for over an hour and I come in here to find you trying to kill yourself!"
Drip
Drip
Drip
My instincts left me wanting to reach up and caress my throbbing cheek as tears burned in my eyes and my heart raced. But I knew what would happen if even a single tear fell. Or if I showed any signs of weakness. I knew not to argue back. "I'm sorry. I was just rinsing my hair I didn't hear you. I'm getting out now." My voice was small and I fought the
urge to look at him. Standing up I reached for my towel only to have him snatch it from my hands. A smirk was plastered on his face and I was forced to look into his eyes. They held mine for only a fraction of a second before they started to roam the rest of my naked body. Inwardly I cringed not knowing what was going to happen. Knowing either option was going to cut a piece of me away.
Drip
Drip
Drip
Slowly he stepped toward me and extends his hand. I step out onto the cold linoleum floor, water puddled at my feet and my lips quivered with the cold and the stress. Placing my hand in his making an effort not to shake he pulls me into his arms and starts to dry my hair. "I don't know why you make me yell at you and hit you. I swear you are just stupid because it's all common sense. Hurry the fuck up and get dressed." He wraps the towel around my shoulders and leaves the door open as he walks back to the living room.