Float

The night was alive and lit with millions of stars, it looked other worldly and I paused only for a second to catch my breath. Waves from the lake gently lapped at the shore and a gentle breeze cooled the damp of sweat collecting on my neck. I had never felt more free. I tilted my head back giggling as I felt the kiss of summer on my lips. I could hear the others laughing at me but I couldn't care. Nothing mattered but the swaying trees and the rhythm of my heart as I danced in tune with the hundred of fireflies surrounding me. I swear I could heart the thrum of earth as i danced across her surface and feel the energy of every living thing around me as if it were a part of my very soul. I had no problems. I had no life outside of this moment. No worries. I let myself float alway into the night while everyone watched.

Alice

Alice

ALICE!

My head snapped around just as I was blinded by a pair of bright headlights not even ten feet from me. I was frozen and unable to move. My heart hammered in my ears and my breath came in quick shallow gulps. The deafening squeal of tires against pavement rang loud silencing everything including my heart. I didn't see my life flash before my eyes but everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I knew I needed to move but my legs refused to listen and the car was going to hit me. Horn blaring I held my breath unable to close my eyes. My friends were screaming and running toward me but I was still frozen. The car came to a screeching hold inches from me. Horn still blaring and furious. The driver got out stringing together a pretty impressive strand of curses as he slammed his door shut and started at me. At first I thought he had already reached me when rough hands seized my arms but after only a second I realized it was Shane. He was yanking me and screaming for me to run. Finally able to respond I took off at high speed behind the others as we plunged deep into the woods and out of sight.

Oh shit!

Oh shit!

Oh shit!

My lungs screamed for air but I didn't dare to stop. Minutes later everyone slowed down and I folded over with my hands in my knees fighting to er more air into my lungs. My hair cascades around my face and sweat rolled down the nape of my neck. After a few agonizing second I raise up and meet the eyes of Shane, Jesse and Jason. Everyone short of breath and taking in what the hell just happened. Suddenly Jessie started laughing, holding his stomach as humor lit up his entire face. Of course Jason immediately joined in and before I knew it we were all laughing hysterically.