Chapter two

Her innocuous ways

****************

Lara stirred nervously the beef stew in her well scrubbed Paradini pot placed carefully on the stove in her kitchen. There weren't many neighbors around except the girls few rooms away from her.

The girls appeared to Lara as big girls. All the male species around them appear to be financial buoyant and physically gallant.

Now that She's found herself in what is considered almost a relationship with Pharez. She felt the need to learn how to be a potential girlfriend to him and had considered learning how from the girls. Needless to say that even the neighbors have noticed how often he visits her bearing gifts and sometimes taking her out.

Lara's heart was filled with joy knowing that he seems taken with her as she was with him.

Closing the lid of her pot, she blew her stove and strolled to her room to answer her "Man", her " Beau" or whatever she'd feel is appropriate to call him.

Last night, Mr Famous had told her something few people knew about him. He had told her his full name was what? Abba Pharez! She had been surprised to hear him say she was special and wouldn't want her calling him Mr Famous.
"Good afternoon Sister Lara", the welfare team of the Fellowship greeted her as she stood with her hands to the door post.
"Come in, please", she motioned to them with her hands. Her thoughts were murderous! She has kept too much energy in cleaning her room for them to come and smirch her carpet with dust.

"Please, sit down!" She managed to say smilingly as she watched them rumple her well laid, no wrinkled bed in disdain.

Rubbing her forehead mindlessly, she sank into her bed. To act the perfect host, she requested to offer them something but was fortunate enough for them to decline.

"Well, Sister Lara, you are part of God's family and it is His will that we encourage, exhort, correct and care for one another. We are here on account of this. How have you been? We don't see you in fellowship anymore. What is happening?....."

Lara couldn't concentrate on the conversation. She needed a breather. She couldn't deduce what to make of their visit. It was made at an inopportuned time. She had to device a way to get them out of her room without suspicion. Every energy that has gone into her room was to impress Pharez, not them.

Blinking her eye lids and yawning severally, she felt her eyes glistening with tears.

Everywhere became silent when she sniffed loud enough to be heard and wiped her face with her clothes.

"Sister Lara, are you unwell?"

Bidding her time, she slowly raised her head to answer yes to the question.

"Brethren, let us join our hands and pray for her", Brother Oladipo the welfare coordinator said before uttering words of prayers.

"Take good care of yourself, Lara", Cora one of her course mates said hugging her before she added the promise to check on her.

Closing the door behind them, Lara sighed heavily. She hadn't realize she had been holding her breathe since the time a sister suggested to stay behind with her for a while to help cook her meal.

God! It took a lot of effort convincing the sister to accept the fact that she'd be OK and leave her alone.
Reaching for her broom, she swept clean her room and laid her bed.

                  ************

Clang.... Clang.... Clang.....

Lara jolted to her feet to call the tailor passing through her compound. The tailor had an hand sewing machine which he placed on a small bench located near her room.

Handling the tailor her clothes for amendment, she hurried off to her room when she heard her phone ringing.

Reaching for her phone, she discovered it was the alarm she had set for Bible studies. Pharez had promised to come visit and she wouldn't want him not to meet her at home.
Bible studies takes place every week and its not like there's an attendance to be taken. The last Bible study she had attended three weeks ago was nothing to write home about. It wasn't as interesting and enjoyable as it used to be.
"Aunty, I don finish", the Tailor's loud voice echoed interrupting her thoughts.
Lara rushed out to get her clothes.

           ***************

The bible study happened to be exactly as dreadful as Lara envisioned it when it ended about half past six that evening. Her mind was preoccupied most of the hour spent there.
The topic had been funny. Really funny... It was tagged the love of God. An excellent sign from heaven.

Lara marvelled at how many times she had heard the message.
She was beginning to feel and see clearly that Pharez in her life has to be a way of God showing her His love.
She was feeling loved and just maybe, she has fallen in love with the impeccable Mr Famous. She smiled at the thought of that.
"Sister Lara, any contribution?" The person leading asked.
Lara shook her head in response. After brief discussion, the Bible study ended and Lara hurried home to receive Pharez.
Reaching for her phone in her purse, she discovered Pharez had called five times.
Smiling to herself, she spoke softly with him and laughed heartily. It feels good to be in love she concluded.
Lara Dalton finally in love? Her friends echoed over the phone.
This is unbelievable! "We'll see in school tomorrow." Lara said as she ended the conference call with her friends.
Folding her arms around her she smiled uncontrollably...