Chapter 4

I woke out of my sleep Cheryl’s head was still on my chest moving up and down as I inhaled and exhaled, my arms still wrapped around her. Her fists clenched in a ball sleeping like a little baby. The black lines down her face from her hysteric crying last night is still visible, still a reminder of how I cradled her frail bod in my arms comforting her until we both fell asleep while she cried about the horrific memories of her ex-husband while wearing his shirt which she must not have the heart to throw away, ridiculous.

I sit up slowly, gently trying to pull my arm from under her body trying not to disturb her. She rolled her body over pulling the duvet up over her bare shoulder.

Amy came barging into the room in one of Cheryl’s pink T-shirts hand in hand with Lexi who dragged behind her rubbing her red eye with her balled up fist. The T-shirt hung down to her knees looking like a shabby nightgown. The wooden door swung open and bounced of the wall sending a loud bang vibrating through the room.

“Shhh” I bring my finger to my lips and looked at Cheryl who didn’t seem to have been disturbed by the loud bang.

“I’m going to be late for school,Kim”

I pull the phone from under the pillow and press the circle button down lighting up the screen.

“8:30… Fuck” I mutter under my breath quietly not as quiet as I hoped as I seem to have woken Cheryl.

“Kim?” She sat up running her fingers through her slightly tangled hair, she was squinting her eyes tying to see better in the morning sun which beamed through the gap in the thick curtains. She seen Amy and Lexi standing at the foot of the bed and motioned them to join her.

“Morning Auntie Cheryl!” Amy jumped on her bed being pulled into a hug by a sleepy Cheryl. Her arms were wrapped around her, her head leaning against hers.

“And my other two girls” She held out a arm waiting for me and Lexi to join them on the bed. We did.

“Are u ok?” I squeezed her hand and smiled at her.

She nodded her head and gave a half-hearted smile.

“I am now” She kissed the girl’s heads and squeezed my hand back. “I’m never letting you go ever again”

                                                                ***

I went home and collected a few things to take back to Cheryl’s’ clothes, toys, bottles etc. I let Amy have a day of school so we could spend one more day with Cheryl but of course shes persuaded me to stay longer. We all sat around the large glass table outside under the blazing morning sun, it shone down on our bodies it was warm but not too hot, perfect.

“I like it here, Kimberly” Amy smiled a mouthful of half chewed cereal and milk spilling from the side of her mouth. Cheryl took a tissue from the packet and wiped it away giving her a warm hearty smile.

“I like having you here, all of you” she reached for Lexi’s hand and rubbed her thumb over it softly.

I stand Lexi on my lap and point at Cheryl.

“Who’s this?-“ She looked at Cheryl then back at me not saying a word just smiling exposing he pearly white tiny teeth poking through her pink gums.

“Can you say Chezza?” She nodded her head and giggled looking over at Cheryl her bright sea blue eyes glistening under the bright sun. She tried her best to pronounce her name but it came out as ‘Za-Za” making us all giggle at the utter cuteness.

“This reminds me off holiday “Amy said looking around the garden “We always used to have breakfast outside didn’t we Kimberly”

I hadn’t taken Amy on holiday since she was four Lexi still hasn’t been. I feel bad for not taking them but there has always been one thing after another. I’m a single working mother I just don’t have the time to take them abroad especially on my own, they can be a handful and in a foreign country a number of things could happen, that’s what scares me.