Chapter 12

It’s been a few weeks since we returned from our holiday and Cheryl still hasn’t gave me an explanation about why she left like that; I still haven’t even had a call a message even. I’m sitting in my living room with the kids all in our pyjamas. It’s dark with only the lamp in the corner and the TV pouring a yellow light around us. Amy’s laying on the white shaggy rug surrounded by bright coloured pencils and felt tips. She scribbling as neat as she can between the thick black lines with the pink pen clutched in her chubby fist. Lexi’s sitting next to her playing with her long dark hair floating down her back and rubbing her eyes, struggling to keep her now heavy eyelids open. It 9pm I should really put them to bed but I need their company, if they weren’t distracting me I’d be sitting alone in silence with my thoughts. Dwelling over things I can’t change but they are both sleepy I can tell by their eyes nearly shutting.

“Bed time” I say softly lifting Lexi from the floor and holding out my hand for Amy to take. She doesn’t complain shes obviously too tired to resist. She takes my hand and pulls herself up from the floor leaving her pens and pencils scattered across the rug.

“I tell you what, how about you both sleep in my bed?”

“Can we Kim, can we?” She smiles up and me and I simply nod my head in reply. It’s mostly for my benefit if I’m being completely honest. I hand Lexi to Amy and tell her to go upstairs while I turn off the lights and lock all the doors. That’s what I do and I walk up the cream carpeted stairs making them creak under my feet. Three knocks on the wooden door rumble loudly through the house. I stop in my tracks and turn around slowly, almost nervously. It’s around 9pm nobody ever knocks on my door at this time. Maybe I should leave it but they knock again louder than last time. I go to the door and fiddle with the key trying my best to unlock it as quickly as I can. I pull it open and thers stood Cheryl. Her long brown hairs tied back high in a messy ponytail, she’s wearing a man’s shirt its white and half the buttons aren’t even buttoned up properly. She’s pulling the silk gown around her body she’s shivering  in the bright light that just flooded out the open door, I’m not surprised its bitter cold outside windy and rainy and she’s standing here looking like she’s just rolled out of bed and by her appearance I’m guessing that’s what she’s done.

“I’m sorry Kim” Her voice is quiet and shaky. She’s looking at me with her dark eyes apologetically waiting for a reply. She’s nervous I can feel it. I look at her with my mouth open slightly watching her shiver watching Goosebumps crawl across her bare skin. I’m not angry with her, I’m not upset I’m numb. I don’t feel anything apart from love as I look at her beautiful face I haven’t seen in week.

“You better come in” I stand aside letting her into the hallway.

                                                              ***

She’s leaning back against the wooden door pulling her sleeves down over her hands.She looks like a naughty child about to get a telling off by their parents.Amy appears down the stairs holding onto her pink bunny under her arm the loud knocks must have concerned her.

“Cheryl?” She squints looking at her. She looks confused and in disbelief.

Cheryl holds out her arms smiling but still a hint of sadness is in her face. Amy doesn’t move from the step she’s standing on.

“Come here then pet” Cheryl says but still she doesn’t move, she’s staring at her running her eyes across the face she never thought she would see again. A tear escapes Cheryl’s eye rolling over her fresh face dropping from her chin onto the silk robe wrapped around her painfully thin body.

“Go back to bed, babe” I go towards her and kiss her head.

“Will I take he-“

“No” I cut Cheryl off abruptly. Amy runs up the stairs without a word and I hear her close the bedroom door behind her. I turn to Cheryl who is wiping her face with her sleeve. She looks upset but now she knows how we felt when we woke up to find her gone.

“I think you should explain”